Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Qustions When Running from Live CD

 


DW KE6WYB
Follower of Christ Jesus <><
USMC NRA ARRL
God Country Corps
Semper Fi & God Bless

--- On Wed, 8/17/11, Paul <pfrederick1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Paul <pfrederick1@yahoo.com>
> Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Qustions When Running from Live CD
> To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 10:22 AM
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com,
> "andersonradioactivity" <andersonradioactivity@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi;
> >
> > I'm doing some learning on a spare machine running an
> older CD (Knoppix 6.2).
> >
> > How can I:
> >
> > Enable Flash?  I can get all over the net with
> IceWeasel, but can't view anything Flash.
> >
> > Access other machines on my network?  I'd like to
> work on open office text files on a computer in another
> room, as well as listen to MP3 files on my home media
> server.  This is a wired network.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > DW
> >
>
> Live CDs are fun to play around with but hardly worth
> configuring being as when you shut them off it all goes
> away.
>
> Most of your questions are difficult to answer because we
> have no way of knowing exactly what the hardware you have
> elsewhere is, runs etc.
>
> NFS http://nfs.sourceforge.net/ and SMB http://www.samba.org/ come to mind as two possibilities
> depending on what else is going on. I don't run a mixed
> network (I don't do Windows) or own Apple anything myself so
> I don't know anything about that. Though it wouldn't
> surprise me if Apple could NFS with Linux. It is just BSD
> they stole^H^H^H^H^H use isn't it? If there is one thing
> Linux is about it is networking.
>
> Box I'm on now runs HTTP and FTP among other things. I need
> to setup NFS on my machine upstairs, really I do ...
>
> P.S. ^H will be lost on most here (it is what the backspace
> key used to do by default) but I can remember when I had to
> edit termcap to fix it. Linux has made some progress since
> then. Not all of it positive to me.
>
>
>
Paul, thanks for your reply as well. Cutting to the quick & easy, Live is great for playing, familiarizing, & comparing distros (within limits). I'm getting the impression that when I get the chance to download newer versions to USB instead of two year old CD's, things may work a bit better. I have to admit though, that these live CD's have saved my tail section more than once on windows failures!!
> ------------------------------------
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>     LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment