Monday, August 22, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Using Wine - if I could

Number 1 was suppose to be ' He is NOT'.

david


On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM, dvdpst <dvdposton@gmail.com> wrote:

> PAUL,
> 1) he is blaming Linux. Just asking for help and understanding of why Wine
> is an pain in ass. Wine will get better, but it takes time.
> 2) he must have got the printer while he was running Windows. He needs to
> get an HP, that will run fine in Linux and be pick up as soon as you cut it
> on.
>
> As for him not being an hacker. Programmers ARE the original hackers,
> crackers. And always will be. How do you think software came from. Some one
> broke the code and made the software better or the software didn't do what
> they wanted, so they broke the code and programmed it to do what they
> wanted.
> I am an programmer, myself. Since 1982.
>
> As for web sites. He needs to use Firefox. Any web site that will work in
> IE, will work in FF. As for the software he needs to run his business. He
> may find it
> easier to developed it his self. The way he wants it to work.
>
> david
>
>
>
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 1:34 AM, Paul <pfrederick1@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> **
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "suem_in_mo" <group.mail@...>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I have tried many times to install/run programs within Wine, but have
>> yet to get more than a simple card game to run. The rest get 'file not
>> found' or other errors without any information on what is missing or broken.
>>
>> >
>> > I am currently using Linux Mint R10 w/ GNOME 2.32, but I also have
>> access to Linux Kubuntu R10. I want to use Linux instead of Windows for many
>> reasons. Primarily,I don't like using software that is just asking for
>> hackers etc to mess with it. Also, I live off-grid which requires that I
>> conserve power everywhere I can. With Linux my laptop runs at least an hour
>> longer than with Windows. Finally, I want a choice of OS to use. I don't
>> like being forced to use something just because the company is bigger than
>> the rest.
>> >
>> > I have tried posting to some of the Yahoo groups in the past for help,
>> but they end up talking over my head. Or worse used acronyms and
>> abbreviations presuming that everyone knew what they meant. Which is so
>> frustrating! I am not PC illiterate nor am I into the nut and bolts of
>> current software code or machine language. I spent over 20 years as a
>> programmer, been there done that with no desire to walk that road again. I
>> know there has to be a straight forward way to do what I want to do that
>> does not require using terminal line commands (which I hate). I am a
>> visually orientated person, much preferring a good GUI to run my computer.
>> Which is what I loved about Windows, its 'plug & play' nature.
>> >
>> > I just want a simple reliable way to run Window's software (when there
>> is no alternative) without having to resort to actually using Windows.
>> >
>> > What programs I need that are written for Windows:
>> > My printer software for maintenance and other tasks. The Canon only
>> speaks Windows.
>> > For my Kindle. Again Amazon only recognize Windows at this point.
>> > Cunitec & Ovitec by Agritec software. Farm livestock management
>> software.
>> >
>>
>> With wine often this must be used:
>> http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
>>
>> For your printer it was your decision to buy crippled hardware. Don't
>> blame Linux for your mistakes or your hardware manufacturer's greed. Your
>> best bet is to get rid of it and get a real printer. Linux works great with
>> those. Better than Windows can.
>>
>> With your Amazon issues reject companies that insist on locking you into
>> their proprietary data formats. Unless you just like being used then by all
>> means continue. I'll tell you right now it goes against everything Linux
>> stands for and no good will ever come of it, well no good for you at any
>> rate. Great for Amazon though I'm sure, cha-ching!
>>
>> From your post I don't think you are the intended target audience Linux is
>> aimed at. Linux is a hacker's OS. Always has been, always will be. The Linux
>> community even embraces system crackers and has excellent tools for them to
>> use as well. I just figured someone ought to tell you sooner rather than
>> later.
>>
>> Linux ain't your grandma's solitaire playing OS! If you've an aversion to
>> the command line and don't like Windows then maybe Apple could be a good fit
>> for you? Do yourself and Linux a favor and go check it out. The last thing
>> Linux needs is non hackers. Go be a liability to Steve.
>>
>> Oh, and have a great day!
>>
>>
>>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment