Sunday, August 21, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Using Wine - if I could

suem_in_mo,
As wrong as it sounds, Windows might be your best choice.
The cli is a very useful component of linux, and I could not get by without
it.

Have you tried to use virtualbox?
It is a lot better than wine, where it has windows in a virtual reality.
google "virtualbox" to get more info

Good luck,
Darrin


On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:05 PM, suem_in_mo <group.mail@shadowdreamer.net>wrote:

> **
>
>
> I have tried many times to install/run programs within Wine, but have yet
> to get more than a simple card game to run. The rest get 'file not found' or
> other errors without any information on what is missing or broken.
>
> I am currently using Linux Mint R10 w/ GNOME 2.32, but I also have access
> to Linux Kubuntu R10. I want to use Linux instead of Windows for many
> reasons. Primarily,I don't like using software that is just asking for
> hackers etc to mess with it. Also, I live off-grid which requires that I
> conserve power everywhere I can. With Linux my laptop runs at least an hour
> longer than with Windows. Finally, I want a choice of OS to use. I don't
> like being forced to use something just because the company is bigger than
> the rest.
>
> I have tried posting to some of the Yahoo groups in the past for help, but
> they end up talking over my head. Or worse used acronyms and abbreviations
> presuming that everyone knew what they meant. Which is so frustrating! I am
> not PC illiterate nor am I into the nut and bolts of current software code
> or machine language. I spent over 20 years as a programmer, been there done
> that with no desire to walk that road again. I know there has to be a
> straight forward way to do what I want to do that does not require using
> terminal line commands (which I hate). I am a visually orientated person,
> much preferring a good GUI to run my computer. Which is what I loved about
> Windows, its 'plug & play' nature.
>
> I just want a simple reliable way to run Window's software (when there is
> no alternative) without having to resort to actually using Windows.
>
> What programs I need that are written for Windows:
> My printer software for maintenance and other tasks. The Canon only speaks
> Windows.
> For my Kindle. Again Amazon only recognize Windows at this point.
> Cunitec & Ovitec by Agritec software. Farm livestock management software.
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment