Monday, August 22, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Using Wine - if I could

 

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 10:05, loyal_barber <loyal_barber@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for reminding me, Roy.  I own a Kindle and cannot imagine why
> I would need a computer to use it let alone Windows.  I have NEVER
> hooked my Kindle to the computer for any reason so please help me
> understand why you would need the computer to use your Kindle.  I
> am not trying to be dense, just don't understand.

I don't know about Kindle, I refused to buy one because of the
around-your-ass-to-get-to-your-elbow approach they took to loading
things like PDFs (that may have changed since I bought my nook) and
the fact that the nook accepts micro-SDHC cards to expand storage.

As for computer, I'm like you, to a point. I manage my Nook about 85%
on the Nook itself, however, I also use Calibre, which is a great
application (and works with both Kindle and Nook plus many other
e-readers). Calibre allows me to organize my entire library of public
domain books, and the Baen Free Library, plus other e-books I've
purchased from places lik O'Reilly and so forth. It lets me very
easily side-load a ton of free or non-B&N purchased content with the
click of a single button, plus helps with organizing them into
arbitrary categories.

But you are correct, you dont' NEED a computer to manage a Kindle or
Nook, but it does help out a lot (again, not sure about the Kindle in
the case, because I'm not sure they ever set them up to allow users to
directly load books/pdfs/etc onto the device).

Cheers
Jeff

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment