Saturday, August 27, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: IP Address

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 02:50, Paul <pfrederick1@...> wrote:
> > Bah the World Wide Web is overrated but if you really want to know what your IP is try here:
> >
> > http://www.whatismyip.com/
>
> Ignoring your usual inflammatory remarks, I did want to add that this
> is a pretty neat site, especially if you, like many other people, dont
> get a static IP from your ISP.
>
> However, that will only tell you the IP address of your external
> facing interface, so most likely your cable or DSL modem. In my case,
> it's showing the IP address of the outbound port on my gateway router,
> since my DSL modem is acting as a pure bridge.
>
> The OPs original question was regarding the IP address of the machine
> he just installed/configured Apache on, so ifconfig is most
> appropriate there, unless his machine is sitting directly on the
> internet, which we have no way of knowing based on the information
> given.
>

You're sure about that? because I just reread their original post a few times to make sure and the line, "the best way to appreciate your handiwork is to start up a browser on another machine and punch in the IP address of your CentOS server" Is pretty ambiguous.

A lot of people only have one computer so if they were going to, "start up a browser on another machine" they'd likely have to do it at another physical location now wouldn't they? Which would imply some kind of Internet connectivity.

The way I read it makes two common assumptions 1 they only have one computer and 2 the best way to appreciate a web server is at a distance. But I can see how you're looking at it as well. I'm not so sure if that is such a good thing on my part, but I'll admit I can see it.

Because I do have 5 machines on my home LAN and I locally serve up a few pages off one. Why? I've no idea today but it seemed like a good idea at the time ...

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE
A bad score is 596. A good idea is checking yours at freecreditscore.com.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment