Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Using Wine - if I could

 

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 01:26, Paul <pfrederick1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know about Kindle, I refused to buy one because of the
>> around-your-ass-to-get-to-your-elbow approach they took to loading
>> things like PDFs
>> Jeff
>>
> If more folks put as much thought into their decisions as you appear to life would be better for many of us. At least all the ones that aren't trying to shaft everyone who comes down the pike.

Well, let's not get too crazy there... and while what I said sounds a
bit harsh, my decision to buy the nook over the Kindle really did come
down to the technical differences. Having used both prior to making a
decision. The points that the Nook had in favor that influenced me
were that

A: they had native support for PDF, TXT, ePUB, and a host of other
formats where the Kindle, for most things, required you to send your
files to Amazon, who would convert them and then send them to the
Kindle via the network
B: I was never quite sure that you COULD just transfer files to a
Kindle via USB, where the Nook has had that ability from the start
(called side-loading)
C: the Nook accepted micro-SD cards where the Kindle did not. I've
probably got nearly 400 books on my nook and keep the B&N Purchased
items on the onboard storage, while I put everything else, from
purchased books from non-B&N sources, free public domain classics,
technical manuals in PDF, plain text files and even some comics on the
microSD card (and use Calibre to keep that all straight and
organized).

But I'm not typical. I tend to do a LOT of research into the technical
aspects of a "Thing" before I make a purchase decision, and often, my
decisions do come down to minute details like that, as I prefer the
most bang for the buck (not to say I don't make spontaneous, emotional
driven purchases as well, but those are more rare).

to KINDA steer this back on track, I'm seriously considering picking
up a Nook Color as well, because they seem to be very nicely priced,
easily rootable Android tablets. I'd never use the thing as an
e-reader, because I prefer e-ink screens, but as a 250.00 touch screen
tablet, you can't really beat it.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment