Monday, August 22, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] IP Address

 

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 14:39, Donald J. Tambeau
<tambeaud@personainternet.com> wrote:
>    A big thank you to all those who offered me advise on how to find my IP Address.  Most were very helpful and straight to the point.
> Of course, we always get one or two individuals who are more interested in showing the world their superior knowledge than in
>helping a newbie.  Fortunately, the ratio of helpful individuals greatly outnumbers the few conceited arrogant individuals and there lies
>the value of this list!  One day perhaps, I will be able to give advise rather than ask for it.
> Thank you,
> Don VE3HOL

Looking back over the other responses in this thread, I'm going to
assume you're talking about me. So I'm just going to follow up with
this, if you read my reply, you'll note that I not only answered your
question, but gave you some pretty good detail as well.

Also, you don't know me from Adam, but this "conceited arrogance" you
seem to take umbrage at is from a very long career in this field,
starting as a hobbyist back in the mid-90's, extending through working
at Red Hat, IBM and now Canonical, working with Linux every single
day, making my living doing so. Add to that the years I spent
teaching Introduction to Linux System Administration at the college
level as an Adjunct Instructor, and you may wish to reconsider the
"conceited arrogance" idea.

I did not tell you anything that was not true, not one bit. I know
YOU may think that book you are using is the cat's meow. But if that
book has gotten you as far as installing and configuring web services,
but hasn't taught you how to find your IP address, then it is NOT a
good book to learn on. And I say that as both a teacher, and a long
time member of Linux_NEWBIES and it's more advanced cousin, the Linux
yahoo group.

Also, Cheers and 73, de W4KDH,

jeff

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE
A good Credit Score is 720, find yours & what impacts it at freecreditscore.com.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment