Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Downloading flash player

 


The last version which worked on DSL Linux was Flash 7.  I have Puppy 4.31 on an AMD K-6 , and it jumps a lot but it works.  #!Crunchbang 10 works fine. One of the things that I dislike about YouTube these days is that the minimum rate for videos is 360p.  Strangely, Windows still allows for 240p.
Gnash or Synfig kind-of work on some linux distros, but as soon as they get close to YouTube parameters, YouTube updates its requirements.

I have resigned myself to the fact that this is one of Linux weaknesses.  If I were sufficiently intelligent, driven, or had the damn time, I'd be working on some new code to approach this issue.
As it is, when running Damn Small Linux on my P1 machine, I render YouTube videos by running them through VLC, or the KeepVid or Vixy.net websites, converting the flash vids to .avi, and playing them back in Xine or Mplayer.  In all likelihood, you could do the same in something as tiny as BL3 ... but you must meet your video player's dependencies first, including downloading glibc6.
Oddly, I AM able to play back such .avi conversions in IBM PC-DOS 6.1 on my ANCIENT 486dx2 (!!!) using DUGL Player!!! .  I put a Fujitsu 8.2G drive on it.  Perhaps someone can make a project of porting this to Linux, as Cubic .mp3 player was!  If the workaround could be automated into a new app, it would be very very nice!
Cheers,
-Martin.

--- On Tue, 8/16/11, c beck <usabecker@gmail.com> wrote:

From: c beck <usabecker@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Downloading flash player
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, August 16, 2011, 9:18 AM

sent from a mobile device
On Aug 13, 2011 7:03 PM, "Peter G" <irlp.link@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> I am very new to Linux, I have just installed Ark Linux on my PC, the
first problem that I have come up with is when I try to use Youtube it tells
me that I have no Flash Player, I clicked on the link and it downloaded to
the PC but I don't know how to install it onto the PC so it can work, Please
help.
>
> Cheers Peter.

A quick search of the web shows (that a way to do it is to open glass
terminal and type:
Pacman -Sy flashplgin

Good chance Google will be your friend the next few days. No matter what
suggestions you get, it will allways be a good idea to research a bit before
you move forward.

Cheers, Chris
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment