Friday, August 19, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Using Wine - if I could

 

I have tried many times to install/run programs within Wine, but have yet to get more than a simple card game to run. The rest get 'file not found' or other errors without any information on what is missing or broken.

I am currently using Linux Mint R10 w/ GNOME 2.32, but I also have access to Linux Kubuntu R10. I want to use Linux instead of Windows for many reasons. Primarily,I don't like using software that is just asking for hackers etc to mess with it. Also, I live off-grid which requires that I conserve power everywhere I can. With Linux my laptop runs at least an hour longer than with Windows. Finally, I want a choice of OS to use. I don't like being forced to use something just because the company is bigger than the rest.

I have tried posting to some of the Yahoo groups in the past for help, but they end up talking over my head. Or worse used acronyms and abbreviations presuming that everyone knew what they meant. Which is so frustrating! I am not PC illiterate nor am I into the nut and bolts of current software code or machine language. I spent over 20 years as a programmer, been there done that with no desire to walk that road again. I know there has to be a straight forward way to do what I want to do that does not require using terminal line commands (which I hate). I am a visually orientated person, much preferring a good GUI to run my computer. Which is what I loved about Windows, its 'plug & play' nature.

I just want a simple reliable way to run Window's software (when there is no alternative) without having to resort to actually using Windows.

What programs I need that are written for Windows:
My printer software for maintenance and other tasks. The Canon only speaks Windows.
For my Kindle. Again Amazon only recognize Windows at this point.
Cunitec & Ovitec by Agritec software. Farm livestock management software.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE
A bad score is 598. A good idea is checking yours, at freecreditscore.com.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment