Thursday, August 18, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] IP Address

 

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:37, Donald <tambeaud@personainternet.com> wrote:
>    I am a newbie following Peter Membrey's book "The Definitive Guide to CentOS."  So far so good with this book.  I am on chapter
> 5 on "Using Apache" and after having installed Apache on a new Web Site, I am advised and I quote, "the best way to appreciate
> your handiwork is to start up a browser on another machine and punch in the IP address of your CentOS server."   How do I know
> what my IP Address is?
>    I highly recommend this book for newbies!

Ummm... no offense Don, but if you're in Chapter 5 in the "Definitive"
Guide to CentOS and are setting up web servers and so forth, and still
need to ask incredibly basic questions like "How do I know what my IP
address is", perhaps that book is not as great a learning tool as it
appears to... It's kind of difficult to work with network services if
you don't know how to find your own IP address...

As Jim said, ifconfig will tell you. You'll see at least 2 entries,
assuming you have a working network connection... lo (localhost) which
will be 127.0.0.1 and perhaps an eth0... ethX is the device you
want...

you can also check locally if you're running Apache by loading the
browser on your server and pointing it to http://localhost or
127.0.0.1

Cheers,

Jeff

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment