Saturday, April 19, 2014

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Mint with Mate Up and Running

 

Yes and No. Yes, support is for nine months and No you can stay at the LTS, Qiana, if that is okay with you. In addition, Clem has said that the core of the next three releases until the next LTS will not likely change. That may mean a simpler upgrade from one to the next. We do not know exactly what he means by that. Is Mint becoming like a rolling release? Time will tell.

I am glad that you settled on Mint and that you are happy. I am curious on your choice of Mate, though, since you come from a Mac background. Mate is really just a re-working of old GNOME 2.x built on top of the GNOME 3.x installation. In other words it is very old school Linux and not very modern and is directed towards users who could not hack the change from GNOME 2 to GNOME 3, not new users like you and definitely not Mac users. Its interface is very un-Mac like. Whereas, Unity, is Mark Shuttleworth's baby. He owns a Mac and has had Mac-envy for a long time. Many of the changes in Unity were because of that, window controls on the left like on the Mac, universal menus, etc. 

Roy
On Friday, April 18, 2014 8:17:25 PM, Gene C. Falck <gfalck@merr.com> wrote:
 
Hi all,

After a lot of my ignorance troubles and false
starts, Mint (with the Mate interface) is up
and running so my question list will change
some (and probably expand a lot--LOL).

I am finding out more about WiFi connections
as I go along--LOL. ( getting slow response
from the Apple Store WiFi so I'll now have to
change from my netbook to my MacBook Pro
to see whether it's them or my setup!) No ?s
on this yet as it may just be a problem at
Apple.

I see a new version of Mint is coming along
next month and, with six-month versions,
like my current distro, being supported for
just nine months now, that gives me about
three months to do everything all over
again.

My most important angle right now is, as I
understand a downloaded .iso can be MD5
checked right in Linux, I first need to know
how to make sure I have the necessary
software installed.

--

Regards,

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com



__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment