Thursday, October 29, 2009

[LINUX_Newbies] Presto and Fedora

 

I installed Fedora 11 to my wife's netbook. In Fedora you have to configure many things, because there are several packages that distro does not include, like audio and video codecs, flash plugins, etc. I found a blog where explains step by step how to configure the system. In that blog, the author recommends to install presto plugin to make downloads faster in about 40%. So I gave it a try. I installed Fedora 11, and then the presto plugin to my wife's netbook and I installed Fedora 11 in my netbook too, but without presto plugin. It is AMAZING how fast it downloads the packages. Updating her system took less that 50% of the time it took to update mine (it only works in command line). Does any of you know how it works, and why other distributions are not using something like that?

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Yahoo! Groups

Small Business Group

Improve your business

by community exchange

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Find support for

Mental illnesses

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment