Thursday, October 29, 2009

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: LINUX_NEWBIES or TECHNICAL JARGON?

 



Yes, I understood the meaning in your previous post. Thank you for trying to make it clear.

We use the same phrase here, and "is not brain surgery" too (I live in Mexico), but it sounds bad when a neurosurgeon say it.

I hope the starter of this thread take the challenge to learn Linux. I think is good to learn new things "the hard way". Some time ago, I posted I wanted to learn, and you recommended Rute:

http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

I think reading rute is the best way for a newbie to start.

That is how I started.

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 04:01:01AM -0400, Scott wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 05:18:22AM -0000, Arturo Ovalle wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > I know starting in Linux could be confusing. I started 2 or 3 years ago, and still learning. I'm a neurosurgeon, so I don't have a tech background, but googleing you can learn a lot, every time I stuck up with a problem with command line, or technical issues, I post a question here and in few hours I have several answers. Command line is not easy, but sooner or later you'll feel comfortable using a console. About the jargon in this group, is the same in every forum or group, and is not going to change, so I recommend you better get familiar with that jargon and if you don't understand something, just ask, and maybe you, and me, and other people can learn something new.
> > >
>
> Quite seriously, I think the fact that you've shared the fact that you
> find Linux difficult at times will be a great help to many frustrated
> newcomers. I don't know if neurosurgeons realize it, but to the rest of
> us, it's often considered the epitome of accomplishment, to the point
> where the phrase, "You don't have to be a brain surgeon to...." meaning
> that something isn't that difficult, is a common phrase. (Ergo my
> lighthearted previous post).
>
> So letting us know that even neurosurgeons can find Linux difficult
> encourages the rest of us.
>
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
> Buffy: I told one lie... I had one drink...
> Giles: Yes. And you were very nearly devoured by a giant demon
> snake. The words, 'Let that be a lesson' are a tad redundant at
> this juncture.
>

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment