Monday, October 26, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] new to linux, have not down loaded yet need help

 

We may disagree on top posting, but we agree I hope on many other things.

I hope that you do not give up on anything. Over the years we have enjoyed
your knowledge and experience. This forum caters to all distributions and as
such you have much to contribute. When it is Ubuntu this and Ubuntu that we
need other distributions represented all the more.

I for one don't want to see everyone migrate towards Ubuntu. I say this as a
user of Ubuntu/Kubuntu. Linux's strength is in its diversity. I like to see
people advocating for PCLinuxOS, MEPIS, Mint, Fedora, etc. It gives a good
picture of what is happening across the community. I don't like to see
people running down Ubuntu or even Debian. Although I have had my share of
run ins with its advocates, the distribution is excellent. I am an
independent enough thinker to not like being told what to think or say,
hence the run-ins. Trust me they can take it as well as dish it out.

I realize that Ubuntu is coming on too strong for others and it can be
annoying. I blog and use Twitter and Identi.ca and try to report on other
distributions, if it is news worthy. The problem is that the sheer volume of
Ubuntu material is overwhelming.

Ubuntu is onto something with its community development and I want other
distributions to take note. Not everyone has a billionaire backing them and
can afford a full time community developer, so I don't expect the same
results, but there is much that other distros can do that they are not. The
Linux Foundation is developing its community since it took over Linux.com
and FSF is developing its. I subscribe to both groups when many chose
between them. I don't think that it has to be winner take all. That's what
our enemies want. It makes it easier for them when we in-fight as it makes
us take our eyes off their actions.

Roy

2009/10/26 Drmgiver <drmgiver@gmail.com>

>
>
> Well said Roy, this speaks volumes as to why I am losing my head in this
> forum and may just leave to use the Ubuntu forums exclusively. There
> are a lot of people around her who act like Debian users.
>
> Justin
>
>
> Roy wrote:
> >
> > Ubuntu has gone out its way to welcome newcomers. It maximizes
> > participation. It has a council to oversee the community, a code of
> > conduct,
> > blogs, newsletters, mailing lists, podcasts, live IRC discussions,
> > classes,
> > forums, online help and documentation, wikis, RSS feeds, a full time
> > community developer, LUGs or LoCo teams, bug squads, project teams,
> > artwork
> > teams for each flavour, conferences, developer opportunities, release
> > parties, Launchpad, language and internationalization groups, Ubuntu
> > Brainstorm (suggestions for future releases), testing structure,
> > events such
> > as Open Week, Ubuntu Women and more. They even give out free CDs so that
> > there are no barriers to using their product. If this is hype then so
> > be it.
> > More distributions need this kind of hype and participation.
> >
> > They are very careful about how they present themselves so that there
> > aren't
> > a bunch of loose cannons giving the distribution a bad name. Much of this
> > probably has to do with corporate structure and an understanding that
> > comes
> > with that on how to market your product. They want to appeal to a broad
> > range including enterprise users. You can be cynical, but it works.
> >
> > You don't have to be the best to win people over. You only need to
> > care for
> > and look after them. That is not hype, but just good practise. If a
> > distribution wants to grow then they need to make it about the users
> > and not
> > about an ideology or software. People like to feel a part of something
> and
> > not be just a cog in a wheel. They have already had that experience
> > which is
> > why they are leaving their previous OS. Ubuntu gets it and, fault them if
> > you will, it is working. Everything else is sour grapes.
> >
> > Roy
> >
> > 2009/10/26 Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com <scottro%40nyc.rr.com> <mailto:
> scottro%40nyc.rr.com <scottro%2540nyc.rr.com>>>
>
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 02:08:37AM -0400, J wrote:
> > > > On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 01:01, Drmgiver <drmgiver@gmail.com<drmgiver%40gmail.com>
> > <mailto:drmgiver%40gmail.com <drmgiver%2540gmail.com>><drmgiver%
> 40gmail.com>>
>
> > > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > And to that I would have to say it is hype...... "Believe the
> hype".
> > > > > Especially with 9.10 which is a beast.
> > > > >
> > > > > Justin
> > > >
> > > > I'm sorry, what part of that was hype? Scott was talking about
> > > > several different OSs. Or did you mean Scott's wife and Japanese was
> > > > hype? Or was something else hype? You really didn't trim the quoted
> > > > stuff, and there were so many different thoughts in Scott's reply
> that
> > > > just picking one out to be Hype is rather difficult.
> > >
> > > And that, boys and girls, is why one should properly post. Here's the
> > > thing. Firstly, (some of you made it to my killfile after the last
> > > time, so I've missed much of this). The folks who suggest proper
> > > posting are usually those who have Linux in their job title, which
> could
> > > be empirical proof of their ability.
> > >
> > > Sometimes, due to a handicap, or, for whatever reason being stuck with
> > > yahoo web mail (or using PDA's) it *is* difficult to post properly,
> > >
> > > However, here's the thing. Those of us who do work professionally, get
> > > literally, hundreds of tech emails a day. If I see something two days
> > > after I've replied, I'll often have no idea what it's about. Unless
> > > it's interesting, I'll seldom go beyond a line or two to see what it's
> > > about.
> > >
> > > Roy, for example, uses Yahoo mail (I think.) But he's knowledgeable and
> > > writes really interesting stuff. What intrigues me (again, some of
> > > these folks made it to my killfile, so I never saw their original
> posts)
> > > is how Jeff, John (who gave up on this list after the last insult--not
> > > only is he another professional, but does it in at least two
> > > languages--nice move, folks) will politely mention it in a post to
> which
> > > they are giving an answer, and these other folks, who seem to be less
> > > technically adept, and have never, in my experience (before I plonked
> > > them), offered an alternative answer to the technical question, will
> > > hijack a thread--another no-no, see the faq Jeff mentioned, to rant
> > > about top posting.
> > >
> > > Like I said last time, do what you want, but it's best, if you have
> > > tech questions, to do your best to get the technical folks to answer
> > > them.
> > >
> > >
> > > >
> > > > It's just so dark here under my rock, I need help finding the hype.
> > >
> > > Must have been my wife. She's hyper. I guess this refers to something
> > > I wrote.
> > >
> > > I could have told ya not to mention posting style in this list. :)
> > >
> > > You trolling pirate you.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Scott Robbins
> > > PGP keyID EB3467D6
> > > ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> > > gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
> > >
> > > Xander: I don't like vampires. I'm going to take a stand and say
> > > they're not good.
> > >
> > >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Get in Shape

on Yahoo! Groups

Find a buddy

and lose weight.

Yahoo! Groups

Mental Health Zone

Learn about issues

Find support

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment