Friday, October 30, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: LINUX_NEWBIES or TECHNICAL JARGON?

 

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 07:30, Robert C Wittig
<wittig.robert@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> The GUI tools are a good thing for the future of Linux, for sure,
> because they will permit End Users to access functionality that would
> otherwise be beyond their reach.

Yeah, but I think they'll also end up removing a lot of
functionality... maybe... or maybe it's just that I'm a CLI guy and
envisioning a GUI that has ALL the features of something simple like
'ls' built in and selectable via dropdowns, check boxes, config menus,
or what have you, makes my eyes cross...

But I really do see, should the GUI really become the end-all of the
Linux UI, a lot of functionality disappearing just because it would
make the GUI too complex and crowded...

And sadly, the increased dependence on the GUI means that the people
like us who are knowledgeable about the CLI are going to become fewer
and fewer. Eventually, Linux will be written and compiled in MS
Visual Basic. ;-)

> Yep... the joys of carefully measuring my monitor screen with a
> ruler... made extra hard, because the old monitors were curved, not
> flat, and then frantically sniffing for smoke on the reboot, while
> waiting for the GUI to come up, or for the monitor to start frying
> (never actually happened, but the anticipation and paranoia were real
> fun).

HAHAHA! I too remember doing that... I never blew a monitor up
either, but I did manage to destroy a couple hard disks with hdparm...

--

Charles de Gaulle - "The better I get to know men, the more I find
myself loving dogs." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/charles_de_gaulle.html

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment