Monday, October 26, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] TOP vs BOTTOM POSTING

 

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 02:44, Drmgiver <drmgiver@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> Just pointing out that what you did was bottom post right? Oh, and I would just like to point out that I cannot trim quoted text on
> my HTC G1 as far as I know. But again, following along top posting is not that difficult. For example, do you really need to look
> at the quoted txt to follow along this conversation? Or any other email conversation for that matter? Again, your not that dumb.
> "Oh my God I can't remember what I was just talking about 2 hours ago! What am I going to do?!" Really, if you can't remember
> what it is you were talking about two hours ago, especially after reading the topic line, you got more problems than anyone here
> can help you with.
>
> Justin

Justin does have a good point here on the first part of his comment.
And I will add to his comment by saying that posting via a mobile
device falls in the gray area as far as posting etiquette goes. I
have the same issues with formatting when posting from my blackberry,
as has been mentioned before on a different list, where I too was
dinged for top posting. HOWEVER, once I explained that the blackberry
e-mail interface makes proper post formatting near impossible due to
the user interface and screen size, doing so was allowed without any
further complaints. It probably also helps, however, that I tend to
spend a fair amount of time giving free technical support on mailing
lists and communities like this one.

Also, it's probably worth mentioning that every e-mail sent from my
blackberry is signed with "Sent from my Blackberry" so recipients will
know that my formatting faux pas was due to a difficult to use
interface, not my own laziness...

Or more correctly, I should say that my sig says "Arrgh! Blasted from
me CrackBarrrrry!". I am, after all, a dread pirate.

Also, sure, I can remember what I was discussing two hours ago. But
two days ago, after sifting through a thousand other e-mails, both
personal and work related, plus doing actual work (or not doing actual
work), having lengthy conversations with developers over certain bits
of code I'm working on, or managers about certain systems I'm working
on, plus all the other things dealt with in life outside the office?
That's a different story. If you don't have that much going on that
you have plenty of time to play on the internet and make sense of top
posted e-mail during a lengthy exchange of ideas, then bless you, hope
you can keep it that way. Unfortunately, a lot of us don't have that
luxury and must quickly pick up where each conversation left off
because we have a lot of other pressing things to take care of.

But really, if you have the kind of career where you have plenty of
time on your hands, I really do hope you can hold on to that for as
long as possible. You're living the dream. What exactly is it that
you do, Justin?

Cheers

The Dread Pirate Jeff

--

Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach  - "Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Check out the

Y! Groups blog

Stay up to speed

on all things Groups!

Yahoo! Groups

Do More For Dogs Group

Connect and share with

dog owners like you

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment