Monday, October 26, 2009

Re: Changing location of /home WAS: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] new to linux, have not down loaded yet need help

 

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

J wrote:

> Sadly, the reason that those of us who DO know how to do all the
> wonderful things that new users want to know about DON'T help out more
> often is that some people seem to have a sense of entitlement. They
> think that because they signed on to some internet mailing list or web
> forum, they are entitled to what amounts to free technical support.

My usual work-week is 60+ hours. My employer pays me for the work I
perform during that time. I'm on-line most of the time, most days, but
I am on-the-job, and I would be cheating my employer, if I took time
that I was being paid for by my employer, and spent a disproportionate
amount of that time, answering queries to individuals on LINUX_Newbies.

This is the reason why the computing professionals who set up and
manage lists like this one ask that the newbies follow a few simple
rules... Subject Lines that specifically target the
question/problem... interleaved or bottom-posted, well-trimmed
replies, to save time reading... and that the newbie first read the
man pages, and do some Googling, and to attempt to solve the
problem/locate the information... on their own.

This isn't a paid Help Desk.

I'm happy to help when I can, but my job comes first.

- --
- -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
http://robertwittig.net/
http://robertwittig.org/
.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iD8DBQFK5Yr04790tgvai6gRAmRIAKC6RN3Y2DxKSG8zVhUXT5htInWXVgCgo2VR
vX91CXE/F8sq4QKnzIfXii4=
=r0/b
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment