Thursday, October 29, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: LINUX_NEWBIES or TECHNICAL JARGON?

 

I hate the commandline. I am a poor typist and as I age my memory for
remembering the commands and syntax is not what it used to be. It has its
use, but for the most part you can do without it. If it is commandline, I
prefer to cut and paste. It saves lots of re-typing.

The problem is that people do not specify when they ask for help. Most of
the people helping are CLI users. So it is the first thing they think of. If
you want GUI help say so. Otherwise you will get lots of jargon and things
that you don't need or want to know.

Roy

2009/10/28 westmi <west.mi420@gmail.com>

>
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "..." <BearJerCares@...> wrote:
> >
> > May I advance an opinion without generating too much controversy?
> >
> > I thought this site was going to be just that - a place where new users
> > to Linux could get very practical down-to-earth advice without much
> > technical jargon. I don't think that is the case. Too often, I find
> > endless banter of those of you who are extremely experienced with Linux,
> > use of the command line, etc. And the information is so involved and so
> > technical, that I just scroll on past and don't have the time or
> > background to absorb it.
>
> Let me tell ya, google is your best friend, and,the more you use it, the
> better you get with it.
>
>
> > If there are simple sites out there to address common and simple
> > problems without going into endless detail, which may or may not address
> > the problem at hand, I would be glad to know about it.
>
> Irc is the answer your looking for-Internet Chat Relay i think-they provide
> instant answers for just about any question you have. I talk to folks for
> hours there and they are some very helpful people.
>
> If you have any questions about irc, I'll help ya get set up :)
>
> Darrin in Grand Rapids, Michigan
>
>
> > Just venting a little, sorry!
> >
> > Jerry in Michigan
> >
> > PS--I just corrected my text and used the delete key, so I'm quite sure
> > I'll have extraneous spaces. What do I do, put everything into a
> > text-based word processor and fix everything first, then paste into my
> > e-mail? Maybe I'll try that.
> >
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Y! Groups blog

the best source

for the latest

scoop on Groups.

Support Group

Lose lbs together

Share your weight-

loss successes.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment