Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] O.T. Something for Mert

 

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 09:58 -0400, J wrote:

>
>
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 08:01, Clayton Bonser
> <claybonser@netspace.net.au> wrote:
>
> > http://www.glbarnes.com/
>
> Oddly enough, it's interesting that this is prominently displayed
> center screen on his main page:
> " I'm here to help ... but I'd ask you to also make full use of the
> information provided here on the website. After researching these
> materials, please feel free to use this e-mail link and contact me
> directly with questions."
>
> Guess it's not just Linux Elitists who make unreasonable demands on
> people seeking information and education ;-)
>
> More seriously though, That guy is an artist. I was expecting, before
> clicking on that, someone skilled who rebuilds pellet guns with some
> custom engraving.... but he builds them from scratch, and they are
> amazing. I think there's a bit of steampunk in there as well, but his
> work is very nice.
>
> Thanks for sharing that... I really enjoy a good gunsmith at work.
>
> Cheers
> Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for a good laugh.

On that elitist thing, when I was a teenager I used to shoot at a few
gun clubs, and the (not so) local rifle range. Very elitist atmosphere
there. Wall to wall tweed sports coats with leather patches and crooked
pipes with wisps of aromatic smoke escaping. Cups of tea and "Oh I say,
jolly good shooting" and all that.
When I went game shooting it was much the same. Shirt sleeves and a bow
tie of course. We would never go a-hunting with "that common beer
swilling camouflage jacket wearing lot". I look back now and smile.

Even so, these gentlemen taught me to appreciate fine workmanship. I
might not want to shoot these days, but I can still look at a gun and
see a thing of great beauty.

Glad you enjoyed the site.

Clay.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment