Sunday, October 25, 2009

Re: Changing location of /home WAS: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] new to linux, have not down loaded yet need help

 

Its intereting, no mention of top posting or not. I call you an elitist because that's what you are. You like to invent the rules as you see fit to fit with your greater and invented sense of being. And no, no sense of entitlement anywhere, but I will point out an elitest who whines like he is being asked a favor by their pregnant girlfriend that they don't really want to do. It is unnecessary. The type who thinks thatthey are necessary to the survival of Linux. When really all you do is push people away. Quit whining, and answer a question if you happen to know the answer and if you don't, move on. Actually, just move on. The Linux community will survive just fine without your type, believe it or not.

Justin

J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 01:10, Drmgiver <drmgiver@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, I didn't even finish reading it beyond the first paragraph, but
>> thank you for proving my point. You may find your rock now.
>>
>> Justin
>
>Wow...
>
>That's such a terrible shame. Oh well, sadly, if you'd gotten over
>yourself and read it, you would have found that I not only gave you
>how to move /home during install, but also how to do it post install,
>using both GUI and Console tools. But you'd rather sulk. Cest la
>vie, I suppose.
>
>You really should get some new material though... the whole rock
>thing? Come up with a couple different lines and randomly switch them
>out. It'll help, it really will.
>
>The problem with you, Justin, and people like you, is that you just
>jump right in to slinging the names and throwing the labels around.
>All I did initially was to say "Please do not top post" and out you
>come with the "Elitist Creeps" and "trolls" bandying them about back
>and forth without actually doing or saying anything useful.
>
>Sadly, the reason that those of us who DO know how to do all the
>wonderful things that new users want to know about DON'T help out more
>often is that some people seem to have a sense of entitlement. They
>think that because they signed on to some internet mailing list or web
>forum, they are entitled to what amounts to free technical support.
>As was mentioned on a different list, when discussion about this
>particular list came up, "who wants to help the newbies out when you
>just get pissed on for trying?"
>
>It's like this Justin, when you need assistance from someone who knows
>something that you don't you play by their rules. For example. My
>heat pump died recently, and I know very little about HVAC repair
>work. Thus, much like the newbies who come here, I turned to someone
>more knowledgable than I about HVAC repair. When the gentleman came
>to inspect my heatpump, I did not say to him "Oh, you'll have to come
>back at 7PM Saturday night to do the repairs because that's when I
>want you to do it." And when he told me I was going to owe him
>$600.00 for the repairs, I did not tell him, "Oh, actually, I want to
>pay you in bushels of apples, because I do things my way, not your
>way."
>
>Because if I had told him to come back on the weekend he would have
>laughed at me, and possibly came anyway but charged me double. And if
>I had told him I was only going to pay in bushels of apples because
>that's how I like to pay for things, regardless about how he is
>usually paid for his time and expertise, he would have just left and
>never returned.
>
>Try that some time. I dare you. Go to the grocery store, give your
>list to the first cashier or manager you see and say "I want you to go
>get all this stuff for me and bring it here in three different baskets
>because that's how I do things." and see how long you stand there
>waiting for your groceries. My bet is that you'll be standing there
>for a long time.
>
>When you and I both joined this group, you were given a welcome letter
>that says, and I quote:
>
> "Also, if replying to a message, especially the digest version of the
>list, please delete any unneeded information to help reduce the size
>of the your message.
>
>The Newbie FAQ is available at:
>
>http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html
>
>and contains answers to many common questions."
>
>And you are expected to have read that FAQ. Unfortunately, I
>understand that you may not have been able to. That's an old link
>that no longer works. SO, here is the current link for the FAQ:
>
>http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/linfaq.html
>
>Now that you have the link, you should go read the FAQ. It was
>provided on the front page of this group and the welcome email you
>received for a reason.
>
>Finally, you'll notice that I managed a rather well written reply
>without resorting to any name calling, or tossing about of insulting
>labels. You should try that some time. It'll make you look more
>intelligent.
>
>Cheers
>
>DPJ
>
>--
>
>Stephen Leacock  - "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue
>that I shall some day die, which is not so."

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment