Friday, October 30, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: LINUX_NEWBIES or TECHNICAL JARGON?

 

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

J wrote:

> Yeah, but I think they'll also end up removing a lot of
> functionality... maybe... or maybe it's just that I'm a CLI guy and
> envisioning a GUI that has ALL the features of something simple like
> 'ls' built in and selectable via dropdowns, check boxes, config menus,
> or what have you, makes my eyes cross...
>
> But I really do see, should the GUI really become the end-all of the
> Linux UI, a lot of functionality disappearing just because it would
> make the GUI too complex and crowded...
>

The functionality won't go anywhere, it will still be there for those
who care to invoke a shell and run vi, or just open any text editor
and edit the configuration files.

All the files will still be in the usual places, for the geeks to
edit, and the GUI tools will just be there for End Users. I would
guess that the GUI tools will in many cases not be as configurable as
the text files, but for those who do not care to mess with editing the
config files, the tools are better than nothing.

There are some configuration files that are really dangerous to mess
with, because they have weird syntax, and if you make a mistake, you
can really screw things up. I know this because from time to time, I
have really screwed things up. :)

> And sadly, the increased dependence on the GUI means that the people
> like us who are knowledgeable about the CLI are going to become fewer
> and fewer. Eventually, Linux will be written and compiled in MS
> Visual Basic. ;-)
>

Heh!

I do a lot of work on OpenBSD... most of the boxes don't even have a
GUI installed... just the Lynx browser, so you can read all the docs
on the OBSD website.

> HAHAHA! I too remember doing that... I never blew a monitor up
> either, but I did manage to destroy a couple hard disks with hdparm...
>

I build computers, and from time to time, I do fry an occasional piece
of hardware.

I toasted a laptop once, replacing a screen... oops! I pulled the plug
on the power cable, but forgot to remove the laptop battery!

Poof! ...actually saw a puff of smoke.

- --
- -wittig http://www.robertwittig.com/
http://robertwittig.net/
http://robertwittig.org/
.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iD8DBQFK66Oz4790tgvai6gRAsk6AKCUAOhlla5UxCnSd7bPJGLAmV3sFACgwUNf
Ckb9khfHBoU/YItfTIuZHHM=
=CnRR
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Hollywood kids

in the spotlight

Their moms

share secrets

Yahoo! Groups

Weight Management Challenge

Join others who

are losing pounds.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment