Wednesday, October 28, 2009

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: LINUX_NEWBIES or TECHNICAL JARGON?

 



I know starting in Linux could be confusing. I started 2 or 3 years ago, and still learning. I'm a neurosurgeon, so I don't have a tech background, but googleing you can learn a lot, every time I stuck up with a problem with command line, or technical issues, I post a question here and in few hours I have several answers. Command line is not easy, but sooner or later you'll feel comfortable using a console. About the jargon in this group, is the same in every forum or group, and is not going to change, so I recommend you better get familiar with that jargon and if you don't understand something, just ask, and maybe you, and me, and other people can learn something new.

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "..." <BearJerCares@...> wrote:
>
> May I advance an opinion without generating too much controversy?
>
> I thought this site was going to be just that - a place where new users
> to Linux could get very practical down-to-earth advice without much
> technical jargon. I don't think that is the case. Too often, I find
> endless banter of those of you who are extremely experienced with Linux,
> use of the command line, etc. And the information is so involved and so
> technical, that I just scroll on past and don't have the time or
> background to absorb it.
>
> Then I post a simple (maybe not so simple question) about why those
> extraneous lines appear in the posted e-mails, and those annoying >>>
> characters, and none of you pros even address it.
>
> If there are simple sites out there to address common and simple
> problems without going into endless detail, which may or may not address
> the problem at hand, I would be glad to know about it.
>
> Just venting a little, sorry!
>
> Jerry in Michigan
>
> PS--I just corrected my text and used the delete key, so I'm quite sure
> I'll have extraneous spaces. What do I do, put everything into a
> text-based word processor and fix everything first, then paste into my
> e-mail? Maybe I'll try that.
>

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Find helpful tips

for Moderators

on the Yahoo!

Groups team blog.

Yahoo! Groups

Small Business Group

Ask questions,

share experiences

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment