Sunday, October 17, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Cannot boot USB-based OS

 

I have Mint 7, Gloria, on a persistent USB drive and cannot boot it. All goes well, even to the "From freedom came elegance" screen with the status bar showing progress. Then it hits a snag and a list of error messages come up, all with "no available space" or "no space remaining", something like that, and an "Error 28". "Properties" of the drive show that there is 1 gig (out of 3.7) free, though this, I assume, means little or nothing. Filesystem type shows "msdos"- should that be the case? I never noticed before. Though it probably doesn't matter, this is a purchased distro and the drive is a Kingston.
I've used this drive many times and I have loaded a bunch of apps into it, but how do I access it to delete some files assuming this is necessary? When I open it, the usual files are visible (Casper, etc.) but nothing shows that (in my opinion) could be deleted. I assume that this is another case where the CLI will come in handy, no?
FWIW, there's nothing on this drive that I can't live without, as I recall, but the solution may come in handy in future when I plan to use external drives more for an extra layer of security.
Thanks in advance,
Mark

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment