Monday, October 18, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Cannot boot USB-based OS

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 15:23, Darksyde <m_alexander61@...> wrote:
> >  I have Mint 7, Gloria, on a persistent USB drive and cannot boot it.  All goes well, even to the "From freedom came elegance" screen with the status bar showing progress.
> >  Then it hits a snag and a list of error messages come up, all with "no available space" or "no space remaining", something like that, and an "Error 28".  "Properties" of the
> > drive show that there is 1 gig (out of 3.7) free, though this, I assume, means little or nothing.  Filesystem type shows "msdos"- should that be the case?  I never noticed
> > before.  Though it probably doesn't matter, this is a purchased distro and the drive is a Kingston.
>
> How much RAM do you have? IIRC, most of the live distros load their
> filesystems into ramdisks, and if you've added stuff to the original
> installation, you could be filling up the ramdisk, thus the out of
> space error. And msdos is typical for flash drives... that or vfat...
> they should all be generally formatted in fat32 these days.
>
> >  I've used this drive many times and I have loaded a bunch of apps into it, but how do I access it to delete some files assuming this is necessary?  When I open it, the usual
> > files are visible (Casper, etc.) but nothing shows that (in my opinion) could be deleted.  I assume that this is another case where the CLI will come in handy, no?
> >  FWIW, there's nothing on this drive that I can't live without, as I recall, but the solution may come in handy in future when I plan to use external drives more for an extra layer
> > of security.
>
> How did you "load a bunch of apps into it"? Was the USB stick
> installed with persistent storage? How much? Could you have more
> stuff than you have persistent storage? How did you create the stick
> to begin with?
>
> Well, maybe some of that will give you a good starting point.
>
> Cheers,
> jeff
>
Lessee...I purchased the drive (from OSDisc I believe) and it came preloaded with "Gloria" and configured to be persistent. "Properties" shows that it has 1 Gig free of the 3.7 total. All apps were installed using either the standard repositories or "apt-get install". It is most definitely possible that I overloaded it, though, as mentioned, it supposedly has 1 Gig free. I'm with you on that one, no matter what "Properties" shows, so I figure there's got to be a way to get in there and do some house-cleaning via the terminal. I have unmounted it and tried again with no luck, though I never tried physically removing and replacing it as I didn't think that would make any difference.
Mark

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment