Tuesday, October 26, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: top five mistakes of newbies

 

Jon,

I saw a test of the various GUIs not long ago, and unfortunately XFCE has become far more memory-intensive than it was at first. If you wish to use a Ubuntu-based distro, you might try Lubuntu (LXDE GUI)...smaller memory footprint than Xubuntu.

One I had good success with on a netbook is Easy Peasey, by the way. I used it only briefly as I only was using the netbook for a few brief weeks before I returned home and it went to our son for use in his university program.

David

> I wanted to use crunchbang (#!) on my little eeePC but sadly it either
> failed to load to the SSD drive or failed to pick up the wifi (in
> Statler) for some reason that I could never fathom, so I opted for
> Xubuntu and set it up to at least "look" like #!, and it works like a
> dream. Smallish footprint, updated from 10.04 to 10.10 with no
> problems, just works.
>
> Anyway, that by way of an introduction, nice to be here, been
> following this group for a few months now, and really like some of the
> discussions. Most informative,
>
> The Wombat
> XUbuntu 10.10 on ASUS eeePC 901
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment