Saturday, October 23, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: top five mistakes of newbies

 

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 12:51:47AM -0400, Ray Drouillard wrote:
> On 10/22/2010 11:06 PM, Paul wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > I believe today Debian is the premier choice for any true Linux
> > aficionado that has the experience to deal with it. I'm sure many
> > would disagree with me, but they're all wrong :)
> >

Spoken like a true Debian user. :)

>
> I like mint because it's intuitive. Others might be more so, but I
> don't know them.

And, there's nothing wrong with that. I know several people that I
consider gurus who have switched from their former favorite to Ubuntu,
because, as we age, and get busier, they just don't feel like putting
the effort into getting things to work that they used to, and Ubuntu
pretty much just works. It gives the sysadmin or developer more time to
sysadmin or develop.

My own personal taste is for Arch, though most of the time, due to the
nature of my work, I use Fedora and CentOS. _My_ complaint with the
Ubuntu family is that it makes it, as a rule, more difficult to
customize in ways that _I_ like. For example, I tried Mint, and changed
the desktop from Gnome to Fluxbox and my network stopped working.

Many of the desktop distros go in this direction now, tying sound,
networking, or other essential system services to the GUI.
These days, it seems to be what the vast majority of users prefer--there
are still other distributions and systems, such as the BSDs, to appeal
to those of us who need a bit more control.

Once I get more knowledgeable about the nuts and bolts
> of Linux (something that is totally unnecessary for most uses)

<snip>

The important point here is that you're correct. In most cases,
especially with relatively well thought out distributions, such as
Ubuntu and the like, it really has become almost unnecessary.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Principal Snyder: It's fuzzy-minded liberal thinking like that
that gets you eaten.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment