Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Cannot boot USB-based OS

 

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 14:10, Darksyde <m_alexander61@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Lessee...I purchased the drive (from OSDisc I believe) and it came preloaded with "Gloria" and configured to be persistent.  "Properties" shows that it has 1 Gig free of the
> 3.7 total.  All apps were installed using either the standard repositories or "apt-get install".  It is most definitely possible that I overloaded it, though, as mentioned, it
> supposedly has 1 Gig free.  I'm with you on that one, no matter what "Properties" shows, so I figure there's got to be a way to get in there and do some house-cleaning via
> the terminal.  I have unmounted it and tried again with no luck, though I never tried physically removing and replacing it as I didn't think that would make any difference.
>  Mark

Ok... gotcha... but the question still stands... how much RAM do you
have? 1 GB free of 3.7 is meaningless in this case as that appears to
be free space on the USB stick itself.

The question is about RAM... if, for example, you have only 1 or 1.5
GB ram, the stick could be creating a ramdisk that is too small to
hold everything it needs.

But that's just at thought that occurred to me after you mentioned
loading other apps onto this...

Have you tried it in OTHER computers to see if the same problems
persist? Know anyone who has a desktop machine with 4GB or more that
you can try it on? That would at least answer the ramdisk question.

Cheers,

Jeff

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment