Monday, October 18, 2010

Re: [nslu2-linux] lost password

 

Not sure about the details of your system, but if you are running from an HDD or a flash stick, you can just mount that
device on another machine and edit the /etc/passwd file to remove any password from the root account, then put it back in
the slug.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the password for some F/Ws is stored in multiple places, I am using Debian, and
editing /etc/passwd on the flash stick seems to do the trick.

On Monday, October 18, 2010 11:54:59 am you wrote:
> Reflash?
>
> -Jimmy
>
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Jel Coward <jel@wildmedic.org> wrote:
> > yes, I know, it's sad........!
> >
> > .....you see I hadn't used my unslung nslu for a while.......I could
> > remember the IP address - yippee.....but knowing where the door is
> > doesn't help if one can't find the key :(
> >
> > I have a recollection of what I might have used....and that I may have
> > shortened one because of a password character limitation.....but that is
> > all I can dig out of my ageing brain.
> >
> > So I have to confess to my failings here, in public :)
> >
> > I am wondering if anyone can jog my memory about the character
> > limitation....it might help me work out what I used.
> >
> > ....or.....is there a way to 'single user' in to it.....or some other
> > way in.......please? :)
> >
> > Thanks for any help offered!
> >
> > --
> > Jel
> > Visit the OSCAR Canada Users Society
> > http://OSCARcanada.org
> > and learn about a world leading open-source Electronic Medical Record

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment