Sunday, October 31, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Wireless support in Ubuntu

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "loyal_barber" <loyal_barber@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew K" <matt_hew@> wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking of switching distros to Ubuntu from Mandriva. The problem is Mandriva One was the only Linux distro I have used that supports Broadcom wireless drivers out of the box.
> >
> > I was searching online and see people having trouble with this, but the newest reference is from 2005. I have heard that Ubuntu has some great hardware support now. Does anyone know how well Ubuntu works with Broadcom wireless cards today?
> >
> > I know I could use a wrapper and use the proprietary Windows driver, but I was looking for a simpler approach. Something that would work out of the box, as this is the main operating system on this laptop.
> >
>
> I don't use Ubuntu on my laptop but Linux Mint which is derived from
> it. I have no issues using Broadcom chipsets. In order to get it
> to work in Ubuntu, you can wait for the pop-up telling you there are
> proprietary drivers available or select "System->Admin->Hardware".
> Either way, you want a wired internet connection when you do it.
> The process will show you a broadcom driver which you will select
> and activate. Ubuntu will download, install, and I believe reboot.
> When you do all that, wireless should now work flawlessly.
>
> Loyal
>

Yep, thats the way it worked on my mom's netbook. system>admin>hardware
check the box for your wireless card, asks for root password, installs, reboots, enjoy.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment