Friday, October 22, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Hardware--the ASUS UL30A

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "dbneeley" <dbneeley@...> wrote:
>
> Mark,
>
> "Build it yourself" isn't much of an issue with laptops, obviously--but anyone who "spends twice what they planned" on a self-built desktop simply did not plan adequately. I've put together more machines over the years than I can count, for myself and for clients. Before I start, I make a list of everything I'll need and price it out before ordering components. I can't remember the last time I was surprised about anything I had forgotten--and these days, with so much integrated, it is far easier than it was some years back.
>
*Yeah, good point of course (planning ahead) but I found that it was too easy to get attracted by a price for a decent computer and then, as the various options were presented, tacking on another bit of RAM for, say, $50 and winding up with a great machine at twice the price. A bit OCD for sure, and I guess that's how Dell has made much their fortune. lol

> If I had a single place where I used a computer for most of my activities online, I'd probably have a desktop today. However, I have medical issues which at times keep me mostly in bed. During those times (as now, as it happens), my laptop perches on the arm of an upholstered chair immediately next to me and I use a wireless keyboard and mouse with it. Thus, a laptop is by far the most practical solution.
>
> When I am more mobile, I may use it anywhere in the house (including a desk in the living room), or I may take it with me elsewhere if I am away from home. For the latter purpose, I have an incredibly handy case called a "Laptrap" made for 13 inch computers (they also make a version for 15" machines, as well as a somewhat fancier one). This makes travel on public transit extremely easy and convenient. (Where I live, we have no car but there are frequent buses that stop very close to our door. I live in Ukraine these days, for those who don't know.)
>
> As for Toshiba--some of their units are quite good, but they also make many to be sold as inexpensively as possible and those may be of lesser quality in their components than their more upscale units.
>
> I have used ASUS motherboards for years, and I have found them to be as good or better than any other brands out there in quality and reliability. Fortunately, thus far I find their laptops to be equally good.
*ASUS makes boards for other companies too, right? I checked into a couple of ASUS machines but didn't find anything for me given my price range. This was probably a soon-to-be costly error but the one 'shiba I've owned, also from Walmart (ugh, I know!) has been my most reliable machine to date.

>
> Other than the glossy screen, my major complaint, believe it or not, is that ASUS follows the lead of everyone else and puts the large "caps lock" key in the usual, incredibly inconvenient location. I have not yet looked into remapping it to something else or disabling it entirely. That is something I will explore today, come to think of it.
*Hmmmm...where do they put it? I (almost) never use the damned thing. On my current Toshiba it's to the left of the A key. I never thought of disabling it. Good idea! Otherwise I love the keyboard layout. It's much more like that of a desktop, minus the number pad which I do miss at times.

>
> Regarding a Toshiba--if you do get another one, I suggest finding out about what your options are for authorized warranty work other than Toshiba America. If you do it ahead of any need, you won't be in a jam should something malfunction.
*I'll check into that a.s.a.p. It should be arriving at any minute.
>
> David
>
Thanks for your advice, David. I'll consider an ASUS next time, hopefully with enough money set aside that I can get all of what I need (want) without any of the crap that will not be needed.
Mark

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment