Wednesday, October 27, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Wireless networking nightmare

 

Hello, I am running mint 9 on 3 computers. My only source of internet out here is a sprint compass 597. This USB dongle will work on any of the mint computers in our house.. however only 1 person can use it at a time. I have a laptop I would like to use as the server, usb dongle plugs into laptop, printer (dell 1110 plugs into laptop (i want it to be a shared printer for wireless printing) and I have 2 choices to rebroadcast the signal as wi-fi. An ad-hoc network from the server laptop network card or send the shared printer and the internet connection through eth0 (ethernet port) to a netgear WGR614.
The only help I found was this.

Re: Internet connection sharing GUI [SOLVED]
by lavezarez on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:42 pm
I would like to share my success in Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in my Linux Mint laptop with another laptop running Windows 7.

computer 1:
IBM thinkpad R40e
Linux Mint Helena (Fluxbox edition)
Mobile Broadband - my Huawei USB modem, auto-detected by Linux, default settings for PPP and IPv4
eth0 - my wired connection to the switch

computer 2:
ACER travelmate 290
Windows 7

Both computers connected to a generic 8-port UTP switch, while I was setting it up.

SETUP:
On Linux Mint computer:
1. Network Connections - Wired - IPv4 Settings, I modified the method to Shared to other computers.
2. I then click on the Network Connection icon to activate the Auto eth0 connection.
3. Then noted down the Connection Information for:
- eth0 connection: IP address (10.42.43.1) and the subnet mask (255.255.255.0).
- mobile broadband connection: the two DNS addresses ( 202.x.x.x & 202.x.x.x )

On the Windows 7 computer:
1. Navigated to the network properties of my wired connection, and changed the properties of the TCP/IPv4 to the following:
- IP address: 10.42.43.10
- subnet mask - same as my Linux Mint
- Default gateway - my Linux Mint's IP address
- Preferred DNS server - the 1st DNS address in my Linux Mint broadband connection
- Alternate DNS server - the 2nd DNS address also in my Linux Mint broadband connection

Hope this helps someone out there struggling with a similar network setup.

I tried this however the router did not pick up the internet from the laptop. Is there some "share connection" box i saw back in my winxp days that i'm missing?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment