Friday, October 22, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Hardware--the ASUS UL30A

 

Mark,

Regarding planning ahead for a desktop--part of the issue is to first determine your budget, then what the computer is to do, then the primary components that will fulfill that job. Price the basics, and only increase an individual component's specs if it a) still fits within your budget, and b) will give you some true advantage in doing the tasks you actually do and not things it might do if you only did them.

Thus, for example, when I bought the UL30, I avoided the models with discrete graphics s much as the "gadget freak" liked the idea. I simply don't do the kinds of things that would call for the much faster and more capable graphics (mostly involved gaming or video editing). In fact, back when the famous Doom came out, I discovered I was somewhat OCD with such games and wasted entirely too much time with them--so I stopped and by now am not even tempted any more.

The cheapest model with the switchable graphics would have been nearly $140 more expensive than the machine I bought.

However, I had planned on having a new external drive anyway--and I happily spent the $140 additional on a Seagate hybrid drive and put the original drive in an external case. That gave me far better performance for any task, not simply any graphics-intensive ones while also giving me 500 GB of internal storage and another 500 in external.

With a desktop, one nice thing is that some critical components are cheaper than with a laptop--3.5" hard disks, for example.

Another point for a desktop--*many* reasonably priced boards stil have integrated graphics today. On a budget, you can begin with the integrated graphics and add a discrete card at a later date when you have the budget and also enough experience with the system to determine that more graphics capability would actually be useful for your usage needs.

Additionally, you have more options for RAM when you have more slots to play with...and quite often you can actually use more RAM than many notebooks will accommodate if you wish.

To me, any computer is a compromise...just as are any house, any car, or any boat. Understanding this, it is important to try to understand your needs very well to begin with, and distinguish between what you would like from what you actually need. Understand that with a laptop, future upgrade options are severely limited--so you must get the basics for your need to begin with, while with a desktop there is far more flexibility in future should your needs expand.

Finally, to me the most significant parts of a computer for long-term enjoyment are the parts you see and touch--screen, keyboard, and pointing device. Again, this makes laptop purchases a bit more involved since these are all integrated. If you're not happy with any of them, once you purchase it's a bit late to do much about them (other than adding a decent mouse, of course).

Because I am a touch typist, a decent keyboard is a must. Presently, I mostly use a wireless keyboard and mouse from Logitech--which I consider marginally acceptable but here in Ukraine my options are limited. If I lived in the States still, I would get either one of the keyboards originally made and sold by IBM (but still produced today by Unicomp (See http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html ), or perhaps one of the terrific and extremely compact "Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite 2" models by PFA America: http://pfuca-store.stores.yahoo.net/haphackeylit1.html

The latter is very small--about the size of half a sheet of standard paper. I find that it therefore requires less finger travel and is thus less tiring to use for extended periods and less likely to produce RSI problems. I also like that using it with a mouse does not require the very long reach you must make when using a full-size keyboard with number pad in addition to a mouse.

When it comes to mice, obviously everyone has their favorites. A surprising percentage of the mice out there are actually manufactured by Logitech--including the Microsoft models, I understand. Such a large producer obviously has many models, so choosing one can become a bit involved. I do like a mouse with a relatively high resolution, in excess of 800 pixels per inch of travel. However, the extremely high-res mice that many gamers prefer are at best difficult to adjust to for most people in average use.

Often, impressions of a computer are strongly influenced by these three details, even if you are not completely aware of their impressions.

David

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Darksyde" <m_alexander61@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "dbneeley" <dbneeley@> wrote:
> >
> > Mark,
> >
> > "Build it yourself" isn't much of an issue with laptops, obviously--but anyone who "spends twice what they planned" on a self-built desktop simply did not plan adequately. I've put together more machines over the years than I can count, for myself and for clients. Before I start, I make a list of everything I'll need and price it out before ordering components. I can't remember the last time I was surprised about anything I had forgotten--and these days, with so much integrated, it is far easier than it was some years back.
> >
> *Yeah, good point of course (planning ahead) but I found that it was too easy to get attracted by a price for a decent computer and then, as the various options were presented, tacking on another bit of RAM for, say, $50 and winding up with a great machine at twice the price. A bit OCD for sure, and I guess that's how Dell has made much their fortune. lol
>
> > If I had a single place where I used a computer for most of my activities online, I'd probably have a desktop today. However, I have medical issues which at times keep me mostly in bed. During those times (as now, as it happens), my laptop perches on the arm of an upholstered chair immediately next to me and I use a wireless keyboard and mouse with it. Thus, a laptop is by far the most practical solution.
> >
> > When I am more mobile, I may use it anywhere in the house (including a desk in the living room), or I may take it with me elsewhere if I am away from home. For the latter purpose, I have an incredibly handy case called a "Laptrap" made for 13 inch computers (they also make a version for 15" machines, as well as a somewhat fancier one). This makes travel on public transit extremely easy and convenient. (Where I live, we have no car but there are frequent buses that stop very close to our door. I live in Ukraine these days, for those who don't know.)
> >
> > As for Toshiba--some of their units are quite good, but they also make many to be sold as inexpensively as possible and those may be of lesser quality in their components than their more upscale units.
> >
> > I have used ASUS motherboards for years, and I have found them to be as good or better than any other brands out there in quality and reliability. Fortunately, thus far I find their laptops to be equally good.
> *ASUS makes boards for other companies too, right? I checked into a couple of ASUS machines but didn't find anything for me given my price range. This was probably a soon-to-be costly error but the one 'shiba I've owned, also from Walmart (ugh, I know!) has been my most reliable machine to date.
>
> >
> > Other than the glossy screen, my major complaint, believe it or not, is that ASUS follows the lead of everyone else and puts the large "caps lock" key in the usual, incredibly inconvenient location. I have not yet looked into remapping it to something else or disabling it entirely. That is something I will explore today, come to think of it.
> *Hmmmm...where do they put it? I (almost) never use the damned thing. On my current Toshiba it's to the left of the A key. I never thought of disabling it. Good idea! Otherwise I love the keyboard layout. It's much more like that of a desktop, minus the number pad which I do miss at times.
>
> >
> > Regarding a Toshiba--if you do get another one, I suggest finding out about what your options are for authorized warranty work other than Toshiba America. If you do it ahead of any need, you won't be in a jam should something malfunction.
> *I'll check into that a.s.a.p. It should be arriving at any minute.
> >
> > David
> >
> Thanks for your advice, David. I'll consider an ASUS next time, hopefully with enough money set aside that I can get all of what I need (want) without any of the crap that will not be needed.
> Mark
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment