Saturday, October 23, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: top five mistakes of newbies

Debian attracts a certain type of user. I would not say that it is for
aficionados so much as geeks, purists and people who crave stability. There
are aficionados in all distributions in my experience. Couple this with the
fact that Debian is less that welcoming to newcomers, even to the extent of
pushing them away, then you will find Debian a different kettle of fish
entirely.

I feel that Mint users will not like to be part of Debian and will miss
Ubuntu if the chnage to a Debian base for all of their distributions. I base
this upon my own experience with Debian and what I have seen over the years.
Things move very slowly in Debian and change is not embraced. look at their
installer if you don't believe me. Ubuntu has tried and gone out of its way
to welcome newbies and to improve user experience. As a consequence Ubuntu
has risen from nothing to be the number one distribution, while Debian has
faded.

In order for LMDE to become successful the Mint community would have to
develop significantly and replace what Ubuntu now does for them. They would
have to develop their own forums and support groups because the Debian
community is too geeky and are prickly pears, unless you like being called
names and excoriated for abusing Debian by using its code and giving nothing
back (as they have openly done with Ubuntu) and for using Firefox and not
Ice Weasel. That sort of thing.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 22 October 2010 23:06, Paul <pfrederick1@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "Darksyde" <m_alexander61@...> wrote:
> >
> > I must admit, Mint *does* overdo the green a bit. I change my desktop to
> black but there's still all that bright green everywhere else.
> > FWIW I'll almost definitely switch to Deb when I do change distro's, and
> I know I'll eventually do so. Mint is great, of course, but Deb has a more
> pure feeling to it, for lack of a better term.
> > Mark
> >
>
> I believe today Debian is the premier choice for any true Linux aficionado
> that has the experience to deal with it. I'm sure many would disagree with
> me, but they're all wrong :)
>
> Paul
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment