Tuesday, October 19, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Hardware--the ASUS UL30A

 

Mark,

"Build it yourself" isn't much of an issue with laptops, obviously--but anyone who "spends twice what they planned" on a self-built desktop simply did not plan adequately. I've put together more machines over the years than I can count, for myself and for clients. Before I start, I make a list of everything I'll need and price it out before ordering components. I can't remember the last time I was surprised about anything I had forgotten--and these days, with so much integrated, it is far easier than it was some years back.

If I had a single place where I used a computer for most of my activities online, I'd probably have a desktop today. However, I have medical issues which at times keep me mostly in bed. During those times (as now, as it happens), my laptop perches on the arm of an upholstered chair immediately next to me and I use a wireless keyboard and mouse with it. Thus, a laptop is by far the most practical solution.

When I am more mobile, I may use it anywhere in the house (including a desk in the living room), or I may take it with me elsewhere if I am away from home. For the latter purpose, I have an incredibly handy case called a "Laptrap" made for 13 inch computers (they also make a version for 15" machines, as well as a somewhat fancier one). This makes travel on public transit extremely easy and convenient. (Where I live, we have no car but there are frequent buses that stop very close to our door. I live in Ukraine these days, for those who don't know.)

As for Toshiba--some of their units are quite good, but they also make many to be sold as inexpensively as possible and those may be of lesser quality in their components than their more upscale units.

I have used ASUS motherboards for years, and I have found them to be as good or better than any other brands out there in quality and reliability. Fortunately, thus far I find their laptops to be equally good.

Other than the glossy screen, my major complaint, believe it or not, is that ASUS follows the lead of everyone else and puts the large "caps lock" key in the usual, incredibly inconvenient location. I have not yet looked into remapping it to something else or disabling it entirely. That is something I will explore today, come to think of it.

Regarding a Toshiba--if you do get another one, I suggest finding out about what your options are for authorized warranty work other than Toshiba America. If you do it ahead of any need, you won't be in a jam should something malfunction.

David

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Darksyde" <m_alexander61@...> wrote:
> >
> Yeah, someone recently mentioned that Toshiba's tech support really sucked. The four-year-old Toshiba that I'm using right now has given me, all things considered, the best service of any I've ever had so that is a major factor. I love the feel and placement of the keys, it has an external volume control, stuff like that. And it feels solid, unlike the Vostro that is still down and will probably go to a local computer shop to see if it's worth dropping a buck on or if I can get a buck or two for it.
> As for screen size, you're right...I don't really need 17 inches as I keep my computer beside me on the bed and that's where I watch movies. In fact, when you take into account the fact that I was watching Netflix inside VirtualBox, the viewing area was about half of what yours will be. However, since portability isn't an issue for me and the computer in question is already configured (none of that build-it-yourself stuff which causes one to spend about twice what they were planning on), what the hell! It'll be a good idea to wait to void the warranty until I'm sure all is working well though, huh? lol
> Mark
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment