Sunday, October 17, 2010

[nslu2-linux] Re: Upgrade SlugOs or move to Debian & rtorrent issues

 



Hello Rudolf,

Thank you for your answer.

I have heard of the device and "googled" for linux modifications of it. It is in my list for a slug replacement or a second device.

Right, now i am leaning towards Debian because of the continuously reported optware problems. Right now I cannot find the time to make the change so my slug will continue serving with SlugOS 4.8 for a little while longer.

Nevertheless, my original question remain open if someone is willing to answer. Especially the one regarding the compilation setting for libtorrent, for scientific purposes. :-)

Regards
Antonis

--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "reuter.rudolf" <reuterru@...> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hello Antonis,
>
> Because of similar problems I am now working with a Seagate FreeAgent DockStar. It has 128 MB RAM and 1,2 GHz CPU speed.
> Actual Debian Squeeze can be used (Marvell Kirkwood CPU, ARM little endian), and kernel compilation on the DockStar itself is possible.
>
> Regards, Rudolf
>
> --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, "assimacos" <assimaco@> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > My NSLU2 is running SlugOS 4.8 and used as an nfs file server, a mail server and for torrents. I also use ssh for WAN access. I am pretty happy with the setup except lately with the torrent part.
> >
> > I use rtorrent and it needs special compilation to work with the NSLU2. This is not provided from optware but someone (Brian I think) used to post a .ipk in the files section of the NSLU2-general group. I accidentaly upgraded optware and I had to downgrade rtorrent in order to make it work. This messed up my session files making the output of rtorrent not making any sense.
> >
> > I tried to compile it myself but I faced gcc compatibility issues. If someone can point me to the right direction (which toolchain modifications to use) on this it would be appreciated.
> >
> > A second (minor) issue with rtorrent is that with the NSLU2 the xmlrpc support is not working.
> >
> > And this leads to the reason I made this post. An upgrade to SlugOs 5 would solve the rtorrent issues or should I move to Debian? Also I am worried about all the posts about optware feeds giving 404 errors lately.
> >
> > So, to summarize, I have the following questions:
> > - does rtorrent still need a special compilation (not included in optare) on SlugOS 5?
> > - does xmlrpc works on SlugOS 5?
> > - do they both work on Debian?
> > - what are the pros and cons of moving my setup to Debian?
> >
> > Anyone who would like to share his experience would save me the downtime and the effort to setup and test the system twice.
> >
> > Thank you and sorry for the lengthy post.
> >
> > Antonis
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment