Saturday, October 30, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: top five mistakes of newbies

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> There is no perfect distribution, which is why we have so much choice.
> What works for one person will not do for another. We are all
> different which is a good thing and have different hardware and
> different needs. If there was just one distribution then we would
> likely be complaining even more than we do.
>
> SuSE is a good distribution, but not for newbies, IMO. It tries to be,
> but it can become very unstable if you install many packages and don't
> know what you are doing, due to the way Yast handles dependency
> conflicts. It asks, do you want this or that, which is okay as long as
> you know what this or that is and how it will affect your system.
>
> Newbies should stick with Ubuntu, Mint, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva or
> SimplyMEPIS and once they learn then they can branch out to use
> openSuSE or Fedora and even more basic ones like Arch or Gentoo.
>
> Roy
>
> Using Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
>

Now I hope no one takes this the wrong way but I cannot say as I agree with the sentiment of this. (yeah right like no one is going to take this the wrong way!)

Achieving perfection has nothing to do with the proliferation of Linux distributions. Neither does functionality. What works on one Linux distro can be made to work in any other. Or it ain't Linux!

Why we have so many distributions is a subject better taken up by social psychologists than here. It rests firmly in their domain of expertise. It also does great damage to Linux on a variety of fronts. So no, it is not a good thing.

Your post, my reply, and the countless idiotic responses it most likely will elicit are ample proof of that! Distro proliferation is merely a symptom of larger issues that muddy the water, cause undue confusion, and retard Linux's growth.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=9&qpcustom=Linux

Yeah it is going down your eyes aren't deceiving you.

Although one one level Linux is not even a distribution but just a tarball. But when one takes a dip in the mud it invariably drags the other along with it. The two are inexorably linked I am afraid.

I probably would live a more comfortable life if I didn't say things like this, but sometimes compulsion overwhelms me. Now please before anyone replies try to understand the spirit of what I said. Try to understand! I know this is a complex issue but do try. And if you can't I guess that is OK but I don't suffer fools, or I'd be running Windows.

Maybe this isn't a topic for newbies to contend with, but maybe it is. Bad habits, and incorrect mindsets do start at early stages. I'm just trying to do my small part to derail that is all. Well that's my 2 cents. The change I get from this deal I don't see adding up to a whole lot but I guess I'll see.

Paul

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment