Sunday, October 24, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: top five mistakes of newbies

Reading in line only works if you are on the forums. When you get it by
email it does not flow as well and it makes it very hard to strip away and
post responses because of the html in GMail or Yahoo mail. Sometimes you get
it right and sometimes you don't. I don't know how someone on a netbook let
alone a smartphone would begin to deal with the problem. Just thought that
you should know. :)

Roy

Using Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 23 October 2010 22:44, Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>
>
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 01:12:49AM -0000, Paul wrote:
> >
> >
> > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com <LINUX_Newbies%40yahoogroups.com>,
> Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
> > >
> > For example, I tried Mint, and changed
> > > the desktop from Gnome to Fluxbox and my network stopped working.
> > >
> >
> > This is how I fixed that:
> > aptitude remove network-manager
>
> Yup, that's what I do on Fedora/RH systems, which I use for work. With
> Mint, it was more curiosity, as someone had said (on a Fedora forum)
> that it was better in that respect than Fedora--turned out not to be the
> case, they both tie too much to the GUI.
>
> >
> > Like all great commands it is completely counter intuitive. Might be a
> good idea to install pump before you do it though. Just in case.
> >
>
> Yup, and I can install Arch and not even worry about it. Actually, it's
> easier for me to install Fedora, as I'm used to getting over its efforts
> to make me do it its way, and no doubt, if I were forced to use Ubuntu
> at work, I'd figure out how to do it with the Ubuntu based
> distributions.
>
> NetworkManager, often unaffectionately referred to as NetworkMangler,
> might be good some day--it's actually fairly decent on my wife's laptop,
> but on Fedora forums, I see it fool a number of people into thinking
> their wireless won't work.
>
> I would say that most of the desktop distributions based on Gnome these
> days try to ram it down people's throats.
>
> >
> > > Many of the desktop distros go in this direction now, tying sound,
> > > networking, or other essential system services to the GUI.
> >
> > Now now lets lay blame where it is deserved. There is a daemon process
> that messes this up called avahai-daemon. Watch for it in top.
> > Check out this ebil looking bugger: http://avahi.org/ I think he is Mr.
> Magoo's pet bear.
> >
> > this fixes his wagon:
> > sudo update-rc.d avahi-daemon remove
> >
> > Another incantation most of us aren't born knowing.
>
> Agreed. But even removing Avahi (which I usually do in Fedora as
> well--in their case it's chkconfig avahi-daemon off chkconfig
> avahi-dnsconfd off
>
>
> >
> > I'm guessing that modern distros are coming wireless enabled and wired
> people have the burden of configuration today. I don't know for sure though
> as soon as I get things working I move on. If you decide you like the evil
> bear just switch remove with defaults to get him back. Not so sure how you'd
> get network-manager back if you're offline, I never wanted to personally.
> >
>
> It's a bit weird how they work it these days. Ubuntu's default will
> connect both wired and wireless---but if you have a static IP
> NetworkMangler was breaking it in Fedora for awhile, don't know about
> Ubuntu.
>
> My own procedure with Fedora, which as mentioned, is what I'm more or
> less stuck with, is to do a minimal install, which doesn't install NM.
> Then, when I add X, it sometimes sneaks in--if it does, I disable it
> immediately.
>
> >
> > What killed me in Ubuntu was a few very annoying bugs I ran up against
> but never got to the bottom of because I ditched it for Debian. Did file a
> couple of reports though.
> >
> > Well there was the 155 total processes on the system with a blank desktop
> and the .20 load at idle too that I wasn't too keen on either.
> >
>
> Yeah, latest Fedora seems to have a .45 load while doing almost nothing,
> with openbox and couple of a terminals. In contrast, this CentOS box,
> running openbox and a couple of terminals, as well as a mail server and
> web browser has a load of 0.
>
> > I got a stripped bare Lenny box that can be in fluxbox running top with
> 32 total procs in 50MB RAM. Yeah Debian is worth it!
> >
>
> My own first love is for the BSDs. They're even better that way, IMHO.
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
> Xander: Hmm, and we thought just because we didn't have any
> money or any
> place to go, this'd be a lackluster evening.
> Willow: I know! We could go to the Bronze, and sneak in our own tea
> bags and
> ask for hot water.
> Xander: Hop off the outlaw train, Will, before you land us all in
> jail.
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment