Sunday, October 31, 2010

Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Cross-compile toolchain

 

Harsh wrote:
>
>
> Thanks a bunch for the direction! Probably saved me a lot of pain in
> the process.
>
> I'll try and give it a go with the latest snapshot and tweak the OE
> build to see how it goes.
>
> -H
>
I just checked my autobuilder -- apparently it too is suffering from the
python "msg" problem. Looks like the OE folks now require at least
version 1.10 of bitbake. So, edit the Makefile, find the two lines that
reference bitbake 1.8 versions, and change them to 1.10 and 1.10.1
respectively. I'm not sure that SlugOS will build with this new
bitbake version, though.

I'm not sure if this was an intentional change on the part of the OE
team; this happened in the past week and I don't recall seeing an
announcement from them. If it was intentional, we'll have to update the
master Makefile, I guess.

-Mike

> --- On *Sun, 31/10/10, Mike Westerhof /<mwester@dls.net>/* wrote:
>
>
> From: Mike Westerhof <mwester@dls.net>
> Subject: Re: [nslu2-linux] Re: Cross-compile toolchain
> To: nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Sunday, 31 October, 2010, 12:00 AM
>
>
>
> Steve wrote:
> > Well... It appears that it is broken with a python global name
> 'msg' not defined. I 'updated' a previous build directory on
> Ubuntu 10.04 and managed to break it too. When it works, it is
> amazing but I suspect it lacks maintenance these days.
> >
>
> You'll need a build host who age matches the 5.3 SlugOS release --
> basically, the host tools (compilers, libraries, python, etc) have
> all
> changed in ways incompatible with the Openembedded build tools
> from that
> era.
>
> If you're using ubuntu, I'd go back to one of the 09.xx releases, or
> even the 08.xx releases (with no updates applied) and try that. For
> Fedora users, I would suggest something in the range of Fedora 9 to
> perhaps Fedora 11 might work.
>
> You *could* try to fix up the recipes and python libraries that
> make up
> the OE build tool -- cherry pick patches from the latest Openembedded
> GIT repo -- but the OE folks have dropped support for a lot of the
> cross-compilation tools we used with SlugOS 5.3, so that approach is
> unlikely to work very well. I can tell you that selecting a snapshot
> from last November of the OE build system will get you a SlugOS
> 5.4-alpha that worked very nicely indeed. In fact, if my job
> situation
> hadn't changed so dramatically last December, I would have released
> SlugOS 5.4-beta at the end of December... c'est la vie.
>
> -Mike (mwester)
>
> > Steve
> >
> > --- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com
> </mc/compose?to=nslu2-linux%40yahoogroups.com>, Harsh
> <harshbaste@...> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm looking for instructions on how to setup a cross-compile
> toolchain for the NSLU2 for SlugOS 5.3 BE. I'm running Ubuntu
> 10.10 on my PC and found native compiling too painful to use so
> decided with this instead, but cant find much recent info on it.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> H
> >>
> >>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment