Sunday, October 24, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Network Manager problems and solving same; was:Re: top five mistakes of newbies

 

I had problems with WIFI and Network Manager (the KDE variant, which should be identical at the operational level).

It turned out I was using an ASCII WEP encryption key that Network Manager didn't like. I downloaded and installed WICD to replace it, and all was good.

Later, I switched to WPA 2 encryption, and have not had any problems with Network Manager since that small change.

However, those with persistent problems should check out WICD. It is small, fast, and very easy to configure and use. For some time, I had the WICD .deb package on my installation key "just in case"... but of course I also keep a spare Ethernet cable around in case I must plug right into the router to download any packages needed to get things running on the wireless side of things.

David

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment