Friday, October 29, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: top five mistakes of newbies

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "papasmurf" <papa.smurf5@...> wrote:
>
> HI FOLKS:
> Am TOTAL Newbie/long-retired senior. Shopping around for good used desktop I can afford, so wife can do her photo files of kids/ grandkids/surf net and I can install Linux on other and expand my horizons[had XP for yrs; comfortable with...no surprises, have good security program]. HATE IE 7 with a Passion! NOT interested in Windows 7, as MS is rich and greedy enough; has been for years and am sure the Good Lord will some day level the playing field.
> Linux intrigues me, so started reading and learning more about it.
> Followed this Top Five Mistakes thread closly. Found it interesting, even though, most of the time, your're talking WAY over my head. One thing I did notice: No mention was made of Mepis-Linux; Good or Bad. Stumbled upon their website awhile back; am considering this as my desktop choice, when ready to 'make the plunge'.
> NOT intending to start another 'flame war' here; just expressing my own personal opinion....which I notice just about EVERY Linux user does very often[Exercising Free Will and Opinions are like butts: Everybody HAS one, ROFL!]. TTFN.....Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH
>

So far the easiest Linux I have ever installed has been Ubuntu. It was memorably easy to install in fact. About all I do remember from it was that it was so easy. The rest of installing it was so pedestrian as to not be very memorable at all.

Lets see, I remember dropping the CD into the drive, install Ubuntu? OK US keyboard check, time zone check, desktop system check, user name and password check watching a gas gauge progress bar for a while check take the CD out and reboot.

If you think you can handle that then you're ready to run Ubuntu. In the beginning you can even pick run off the CD just to like test drive it but it takes a long time to load. But if you pick that it just eventually dumps you off at a desktop. I don't think it asks you a single thing afterwards. So that option has that going for it.

And when I did that I was amazed I mean my network was all configured and I could open up a browser and surf the net. And all I did was just drop a CD in the drive and pick run from CD. But like I said the live CD is a bit sluggish, OK it is dog slow compared to a real hard drive installation. So don't let that put you off.

Some deals that sound too good to be true aren't, then there's Linux.

Paul

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment