Sunday, October 17, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Hardware--the ASUS UL30A

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "dbneeley" <dbneeley@...> wrote:
>
> Previously, I mentioned having bought an ASUS UL30A-X5K--a 13.3" ultraportable. I thought I'd update everyone on progress...
>
> I had some difficulty at first with trying to load 64-bit Linux on it from a USB key. For whatever reason, unetbootin did not wish to cooperate with that attempt.
>
> However, I burned an ISO file onto a CD (using the external LiteOn drive I bought, since this machine has no internal DVD unit), and it loaded fine. I tried several different versions, but went back to Kubuntu--in this case. 10.10.
>
> One known glitch being worked on--for some reason, these machines may occasionally freeze and have to be power cycled when running Linux. With me, that seems to happen perhaps once or occasionally twice in a three-day span. Note, though, that at present I am on the Internet with this box perhaps sixteen hours a day.
> <snip>
> Amazon is running this machine as of yesterday for $579.99; I consider that a very good price and I would buy one again knowing what I know now.
>
> If you are in the market for a new machine, you could certainly do worse--especially if you need a machine that is highly and easily mobile.
>
> David
>
You sound like a satisfied customer, David. That's only $1.99 more than the 'shiba I'm pondering but my main concern (in this case) is that I want the 17.3" screen (for Netflix). If portability is a factor it seems that your ASUS was an incredible value. And the apps you were running simultaneously equaled my Dell when it was in prime form.
Incidentally, what are "chicklet" keys? Are they the flatter ones that are less ergonomic?
I haven't used it much but I get the idea that Unetbootin is a bit fickle at best, which brings me to another question- which I'll ask in a new post.
Have fun with your new machine,
Mark


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment