Sunday, October 24, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: top five mistakes of newbies

 

Tom,

While you are not yet a user, keep in mind that your attitude toward a given Linux distribution is not yet based on personal experience.

The last version of Mepis I actually ran to evaluate was probably the last version before they went to Ubuntu as a base. To me, it was fine--better than many, in fact.

One concern I have with it is how much it is dependent upon the one guy. While he may certainly outlive us both, he also may not--and then what?

Ultimately, though, the major differences from distribution to distribution actually lies in several areas that may not seem too critical: depth of available packages, strength of the user community and how welcoming they are to new users.

While it is certainly always possible to get source code for an app and compile and install it yourself, it is extremely helpful if there are packages already created that can be easily acquired and installed.

In conjunction with this, I appreciate a really good package acquisition and management system. To me, distros based upon RPM packages are not optimal, since RPMs have relatively poor dependency checking for one thing. Red Hat has been working on a next-generation RPM system for some time, but as far as I know that is not yet released.

The best RPM-based distribution around, in my personal opinion, would be SuSE with their YAST system. (In a relatively short time, I suspect that SuSE will be sold by Novell, so I imagine there will be a continuing development and support outfit behind it).

There are several other package systems that are better. Several versions use Portage, which I understand is excellent.

However, today the dominant package system is Debian's. I think that is presently the most useful package system for most users.

One advantage to the distros based on Ubuntu that many overlook when speaking to newcomers: most applications today seem to offer Ubuntu .deb files as one of the major choices for download. This means that package installation and management is somewhat simpler. I believe this is a genuine advantage for a newbie, and should not be dismissed lightly. Along with that, the Ubuntu package repositories are excellent.

I haven't looked at Mepis in some time, obviusly, so I don't know if it is still Ubuntu based.

A final note: among the various GUI interfaces, I think for those who are accustomed to Windows that KDE should be considered there. That is because in its plain vanilla form, it works very similarly to the Windows GUI. That might make it easier for you and also for our wife to become accustomed to it.

David

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "papasmurf" <papa.smurf5@...> wrote:
>
> HI FOLKS:
> Am TOTAL Newbie/long-retired senior. Shopping around for good used desktop I can afford, so wife can do her photo files of kids/ grandkids/surf net and I can install Linux on other and expand my horizons[had XP for yrs; comfortable with...no surprises, have good security program]. HATE IE 7 with a Passion! NOT interested in Windows 7, as MS is rich and greedy enough; has been for years and am sure the Good Lord will some day level the playing field.
> Linux intrigues me, so started reading and learning more about it.
> Followed this Top Five Mistakes thread closly. Found it interesting, even though, most of the time, your're talking WAY over my head. One thing I did notice: No mention was made of Mepis-Linux; Good or Bad. Stumbled upon their website awhile back; am considering this as my desktop choice, when ready to 'make the plunge'.
> NOT intending to start another 'flame war' here; just expressing my own personal opinion....which I notice just about EVERY Linux user does very often[Exercising Free Will and Opinions are like butts: Everybody HAS one, ROFL!]. TTFN.....Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment