Saturday, January 15, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: android and the future of Linux

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> Android just passed iPhone in the US and has been the leader in the
> rest of the world for some time. I almost bought an Android e-reader
> and still might. What are your experiences with Android? Does the
> version matter much? If so, what should I be looking at? Should I wait
> till gingerbread comes out as everyone suggests?
>
> I have met a number of people who are wowed by the Samsung Galaxy
> (smartphone) and it is the first time they have considered Linux as an
> OS. Is the Android likely to encourage people to try Linux on the
> desktop? I would want something that would show off Android's
> capabilities, but not be too expensive. I don't really want a tablet,
> but more an e-reader as I already own a netbook. But something with
> colour, wifi for email and some apps would be nice since I don't own a
> cell phone. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
>
> Roy
>
> Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
>

With so many more compelling alternatives Linux has been steadily been losing desktop marketshare recently. I cannot envision a realistic scenario that will reverse the trend either. I do not think anyone can point to one thing and say it is the cause but it seems several factors have come together to cause an overall effect. Phones being one of those factors. So no, the phone is taking potential users away, not bringing them to the desktop, at least not a Linux desktop.

You got by this long without a cell phone so why not just go the distance? It is how I've been rationalizing it myself. I swear nothing is more annoying than rude people using cell phones in public! Why don't they all just wear signs saying no, you don't matter to me. It'd be so much cheaper than the monthly bills wouldn't it?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment