Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Internet Radio

Thanks Jeff. I have my local college radio station on and it is full of
alternative music and NPR that I like. I also listen to the CBC, which is
our public broadcaster and it is all open. The one client to rule them all
effort is just to bring everything together and reduce my workload. Although
it is proving to be a bigger job than I anticupated. But I am counting it as
a learning opportunity. I am not much of an html guy, but I know how to list
the page source and will give that a try.

I can play the BBC in FF in the flash enabled pop-up when I click Listen
Now. But cannot glean the url, yet, so that I can play it in an external
client.

Thanks for your help.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 26 January 2011 10:40, J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 09:48, Roy <linuxcanuck@gmail.com<linuxcanuck%40gmail.com>>
> wrote:
> > If you have any insights to share then I would be interested in
> > learning how to get more stations. I would particularly like to learn
> > how to ferret urls that are hidden from the user.
>
> I've had no problems, really, with Rhythmbox, FWIW... I kinda like it,
> actually. But that's preference, so YMMV.
>
> Anyway, I typically listen to "open" streams... I don't try squeezing
> out URLS very often anymore. I used to do that with BBC streams as
> I'm a big fan of Radio 1 and Radio 2, but since they moved to their
> iPlayer thing and turned off their RealAudio streams, I just walked
> away. Typically, I prefer college stations, and you can usually find
> hundreds of open streams simply by googling for something like
> "internet radio" or "radio stream".
>
> As for pulling urls out, the easiest way for me was to look at the
> page source for streams playing through embedded players. The player
> is encapsulated in < embed > tags and usually includes a partial URL
> "/path/to/stream/stream.ext" and from there it's just trial and error
> to get the full URL (e.g.
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/path/to/stream/stream.ram)
>
> Not sure there's any "magic" other than that, without getting into
> Rube Goldberg time consuming efforts that I'm honestly too lazy to get
> into.
>
> Good luck though!
>
> Cheers
> Jeff
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment