Wednesday, January 26, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Internet Radio

 

I have begun to listen to internet radio while I work. I mainly listen
to news or to music to discover new artists. I am wondering if anyone
else listens to internet radio and what client you use. I can't get
Pandora or Spotify in Canada. The Canadian government is obsessed with
protecting Canadian content so many of the large services will not
work, BBC, US networks, AOL etc. Many networks want you to use their
clients so they hide the urls. I have tried proxies, but that does not
seem to fool Pandora, etc.

I am currently using Radio Tray which I like and which has some
advantages and disadvantages. I have not had much luck with Rhythmbox
or Amarok. VLC works great, but it does not allow me to save
playlists. I have Live365 working via Wine using their client or in
Chromium, but FF does not work for some reason (maybe it needs a
different Flash). I can't seem to get the urls to add to Radio Tray.
Shoutcast streams work fine from Radio Tray or VLC. Generally if they
work in VLC you can add them to your list in Radio Tray. I also like
Clementine which is fork of Amarok. It includes lots of Icecast and
SomaFM stations plus you can add your own.

If you have any insights to share then I would be interested in
learning how to get more stations. I would particularly like to learn
how to ferret urls that are hidden from the user.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment