Sunday, January 9, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Can't Connect to the Internet with Ubuntu

 

Ok, so I restarted the system for the 4th time and it was a charm, as the grub screen finally appeared and I was able to dual boot.

I think my computer's haunted!

~Kaz

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "kazman1914" <kazman1914@...> wrote:
>
> More issues. Now that I've installed Ubuntu 10.1 I can no longer dual boot! During instillation a screen reassured me that it read the Windows partition and OS and that I'd be able to boot from grub, but it was not to be.
>
> Any ideas? I'm about to reformat and stick with Windows but if this is an easy fix maybe I'll stick with it a little longer.
>
> ~Kaz
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "kazman1914" <kazman1914@> wrote:
> >
> > Well, the good news is that I installed Ubuntu 10.1 and I'm now able to connect to the Internet. I'm posting this message from Linux. The bad news is that I have no sound with the newer version whereas I had sound with version 10.04! Errrgggg.
> >
> > Now I have to figure out how to get the sound card to work, how to install Adobe Flash so that I can watch videos on Youtube, and how to install codices so that I can listen to MP3's, etc.
> >
> > The adventure continues!
> >
> > ~Kaz
> >
> >
> >
> > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "kazman1914" <kazman1914@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, I installed the package using sudo but it didn't work. Apparently the driver for my ethernet card wasn't among those included. I'll try downloading the latest version of Ubuntu and see if that does it.
> > >
> > > Any recommendations for other Linux distros I can try that might work? I had success with Freespire in the past, but I'm not sure if updated versions of that distro are available. Also, if memory serves, it's default instillation was as "root" which isn't recommended. If not, perhaps I'll reformat the Linux partition as NTFS and use it for storing data from Windows. I'd like to expand my horizons but perhaps I need something that's dummy-proof.
> > >
> > > ~Kaz
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 02:51:47PM -0000, kazman1914 wrote:
> > > > > Hi Scott,
> > > > >
> > > > > "Question--does Ubuntu definitely see the ethernet card. That is, if you open a terminal (In Ubuntu, I think it's under Applications=>Accessories) and type ifconfig eth0
> > > > > Does it show something?"
> > > > >
> > > > > This is the message I got when I typed ifconfig eth0:
> > > > >
> > > > > eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
> > > > >
> > > > > Sounds like Ubuntu can't read my ethernet card, right?
> > > >
> > > > There's your problem.
> > > >
> > > > A quick google gives
> > > >
> > > > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9449490
> > > >
> > > > Post number 6 seems to give the solution. Interesting though, especially
> > > > if it worked in the older version. Although Linux shooting itself in
> > > > the foot with upgrades is nothing new.
> > > >
> > > > You can try running it with the newer one, 10.11 or whatever it is, to
> > > > see if it's fixed. (Or try other distributions, to see if they support
> > > > it.
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > Scott Robbins
> > > > PGP keyID EB3467D6
> > > > ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> > > > gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
> > > >
> > > > Cordelia: What's her saga?
> > > > Xander: She's freaking.
> > > > Cordelia: About what?
> > > > Xander: The mayor is gonna kill us all during graduation.
> > > > Cordelia: Oh. Are you gonna go to 5th period?
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment