Thursday, January 20, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] usb floppy

 

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 04:42, rootessa <krtj@live.com> wrote:
> I've had Linux for almost 2 months and am substantially less confused than I was. YAY! I've been using Windows since the very beginning of Windows & DOS before
> that so I'm pretty literate in Windows. I'm also not afraid of this machine! I have a laptop & have tried to get it to recognize a USB floppy drive without success. I know
> the drive works. Can anyone tell me what I need to do? I've asked several sources & have gotten a different answer everytime, none of which work.Thanks

In addition to what Roy said, it would be helpful if you would provide
some useful information about your system.

What Linux distribution are you running?

FWIW, Ubuntu is not terribly floppy friendly anymore as floppies have
really gone the way of the dodo. It may be that you just need to load
the proper driver (maybe it's usb_floppy?? I don't recall) or it could
be something else.

In general terms, however, a USB device is a USB device and floppies
have historically just worked. So this is not proper behaviour
(IMHO).

So what more can you tell us?

Another thing you can do for some info gathering:

Boot Linux
Open a terminal
Run the command "lsusb"
Plug the floppy in and wait a few seconds (does the floppy light up
when you plug it in indicating it's getting power?)
Run the "lsusb" command again and see if the floppy appears in the output

You can also look at the logs (/var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog)
and see if there are errors that appear when you plug the floppy drive
in.

Cheers
Jeff

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment