Tuesday, January 11, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Can't Connect to the Internet with Ubuntu

 

Paul,

It doesn't matter--the fastest mirror will depend upon where you are. For me, in Ukraine, the mirrors you use are likely to be extremely slow.

To find the fastest mirror is fairly straight-forward. If you're using Ubuntu or one of its derivatives, the application called Ailurus has a tab specifically set up to test any mirrors you wish, anywhere in the world.

I have found that the mirrors that test fastest at one time may vary a month or more later, so I wind up running this quarterly or thereabouts. In the last two years, I've changed mirrors once to a different one, then about six months later back to the original as the intervening connections seemed to vary in the meantime.

David

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@...> wrote:

>
> I just found a mirror site that can max out my bandwidth and use it in /etc/apt/sources.list . Though I'm not saying which one :)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcCXnXDiKoQ
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment