Monday, January 24, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: usb floppy

 

thank you SO much. I will try these suggestions and check back in! kate

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:35:59AM -0500, J wrote:
>
>
> > > I've had Linux for almost 2 months and am substantially less confused than I was. YAY! I've been using Windows since the very beginning of Windows & DOS before
> > > that so I'm pretty literate in Windows. I'm also not afraid of this machine! I have a laptop & have tried to get it to recognize a USB floppy drive without success.
>
> Well, that's what I tell my users--when I walk over, and the problem has
> magically stopped, I say, "They're like dogs and horses--you can't show
> them fear."
>
>
> >
> > FWIW, Ubuntu is not terribly floppy friendly anymore as floppies have
> > really gone the way of the dodo. It may be that you just need to load
> > the proper driver (maybe it's usb_floppy?? I don't recall) or it could
> > be something else.
> >
> > In general terms, however, a USB device is a USB device and floppies
> > have historically just worked. So this is not proper behaviour
> > (IMHO).
>
> I tend to agree with the second paragraph.
>
> >
> > Open a terminal
> > Run the command "lsusb"
> > Plug the floppy in and wait a few seconds (does the floppy light up
> > when you plug it in indicating it's getting power?)
> > Run the "lsusb" command again and see if the floppy appears in the output
> >
> > You can also look at the logs (/var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog)
> > and see if there are errors that appear when you plug the floppy drive
> > in.
>
>
> What I do to trouble shoot USB is run dmesg |tail
>
> after plugging it in--this usually gives me some information.
>
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment