Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Internet Radio

 

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 09:48, Roy <linuxcanuck@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you have any insights to share then I would be interested in
> learning how to get more stations. I would particularly like to learn
> how to ferret urls that are hidden from the user.

I've had no problems, really, with Rhythmbox, FWIW... I kinda like it,
actually. But that's preference, so YMMV.

Anyway, I typically listen to "open" streams... I don't try squeezing
out URLS very often anymore. I used to do that with BBC streams as
I'm a big fan of Radio 1 and Radio 2, but since they moved to their
iPlayer thing and turned off their RealAudio streams, I just walked
away. Typically, I prefer college stations, and you can usually find
hundreds of open streams simply by googling for something like
"internet radio" or "radio stream".

As for pulling urls out, the easiest way for me was to look at the
page source for streams playing through embedded players. The player
is encapsulated in < embed > tags and usually includes a partial URL
"/path/to/stream/stream.ext" and from there it's just trial and error
to get the full URL (e.g.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/path/to/stream/stream.ram)

Not sure there's any "magic" other than that, without getting into
Rube Goldberg time consuming efforts that I'm honestly too lazy to get
into.

Good luck though!

Cheers
Jeff

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment